Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'Aquafortis'.
Found 1 result
Started this project in another thread, and decided to give it it's own thread to keep that one from getting too off topic. As opposed to buying a PSL, I decided to go for a Dragonov look with a stock 23" VEPR .308 that I had in the safe. I ordered a set of SVD furniture from Rhineland Arms in tiger maple, and did some modifying on the edges to suit my personal tastes: I wanted a wood cheek riser to replace the rubber one that came from RA. I ordered a top choice 18" tiger maple blank from BellForest woods for $10: I used an old UTG picatinny rail mount bipod that I modified to mount directly to the hand guard close to the receiver to reduce the potential of POI variances with the bipod down or shooting off hand with it up: VEPR with wood fitted and bipod attached: Next was to tackle the new cheek riser. I used a table saw and router to form the shape I wanted using the existing cheek riser as a template. Here is the stock with the rubber cheek riser before: And with the new cheek riser I fabricated: I used Aquafortis (Nitric & HCl acid with dissolved iron in it) to historically finish the tiger maple and make the vertical figure pop. It was the first time I have used it and there is a learning curve...the first being when applying heat to get the iron to blush, a hair dryer takes too long and a propane torch runs the risk of charring the surface. I see a heat gun purchase in my near future. Still it turned out pretty well: Run out of room for pics on this post. Next post will cover finishing the Aquafortis with Tru-oil.