• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a 1994 import Saiga 7.62x39mm rifle that came with a Russian 3.5 scope. With handloads using .311" Hornady and Sierra bullets it will shoot 2"@100yds.

The design of the bullets coupled with the bullet and powder weight variations of the current imported Russian 7.62x39mm ammo is a lost cause when trying to get the best accuracy out of a Saiga rifle. So if you want the best groups handloads are the way to go. The Chinese steel core and Lapua ammo give me groups 2-1/2 to 3 inchs.

• 1 month later...

Saigas are a great deal for the money. I have the 20" bbl, which is nice and feels like a real rifle (and looks the best), but the 16" handles nice and quick like an AK, but it is so ugly with the saiga buttstock on it! I like mine; it is a nice gun, shoots cheap ammo. A .308 and a 12 ga. are on my wish list!

• 2 weeks later...

I havn't put a scope on mine yet, but I'm pleased with the accuracy of my 7.62 Saiga.It's a very comfortable gun to shoot and definitely a great gun for the price.The safety lever will always annoy me, but overall, it's my favorate of the few guns I have.

• 4 weeks later...

I second what makc said. My Saiga with a Kobra red dot is my number one fun gun. The Kobra holds it's zero very well! I can shoot a box of Barnual ammo and stay well within a 5 1/2" bull at 100 yrds on sand bags. I have some pretty tight groups with it.

I also recommend 7.62x39mm as the the first Saiga--- ammo is cheap and easily obtained.

If you want to shoot an inch group or better than start saving for an AR 15 with a floated barrel. With good ammo or hand loads they are awesome.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, I took three rifles to the range.

DCM AR 15 with Olympic Greek ammo----never again

Saiga 7.62x39--Kobra sight--Barnual HP

FAL Imbel kit with new Brazilian barrel

The AR with good ammo shoots very,very tight groups. Not with Greek ammo though.

The Saiga with the Kobra @ 100 yrds. is a great buy. The Kobra almost equals the Saiga in price. I see the fellows at the range spraying targets with their AK's or SKS's. The Saiga with the Kobra is a step up believe me; at least with Barnual ammo.

There are those who knock the FAL now in favor of the CETME or HK G3. They won't beat a FAL with a good barrel by much, if at all.