Ok we lost a crap load of stuff in the flood and have moved to a mountain side in north ID from Louisiana so I gots to buy cold gear.

Snows are starting next week and hitting down in teens so I need a good pair of gloves that don't impede shooting overmuch and something to keep the tootsies warm.

Now I get feedback from the folks here but you guys always seem to have unique insights to problems.

Thermal under stuff I got covered along with coats but its gloves and shoes that are going to be the sticker I think.

If your hands and feet are warm you are warm has always worked so any advice from cold weather vets?

Also most likely may need to re-evaluate all my powders for re-loading but that is a bit less concern.

Lubes? Any heads up?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Rhodes1968

I prefer loose layers. Thinner clothes, the closer you get to the body.

I wear a field-jacket liner under a hooded-flannel, under a cotton canvas coat (wind and fire-resistant), when I'm outside (20-70 deg.)

Any good boots should do depending on the season. Buy big sizes and layer socks, for colder weather.

Some rubberized gloves are better than others.

I spent about 20 years of my life working outside year-round. It was freedom, IMHO.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

Gloves are a problem to pick because it is based on activity. If your body is moving then a light pair. If you are sitting a heavy pair.

Both should wick moisture away from your hand, which is hard to find.

This is why hunters have so many gloves in the dresser drawer. Also you body type come into play, some peoples hands sweat more than others and when your hand gets wet they are going to get cold fast.

When I pheasant hunt every fall Through trial and error I have found the best glove for the activity.

I think that gloves are like women, there are short times when they are not As comfortable as you would like but you sick with the best pair you have found (because they keep you warm)

• Like 1

Gloves are personable and i agree depend on activity. I live in the tundra called north dakota, so we have the worst of every season. I recomend kamick boots, I've heard sorels are making a comback as well. I am going on year 7 or 8 of my kamicks.

Gloves are personable and i agree depend on activity. I live in the tundra called north dakota, so we have the worst of every season. I recomend kamick boots, I've heard sorels are making a comback as well. I am going on year 7 or 8 of my kamicks.

I bought a pair of Kamick boots earlier this year during a big sale, but it hasn't been cold enough yet to try them out!  :laugh:

They seem very well made and comfortable, though, for the brief period I tried them on after buying.

For gloves, I am using a pair of knit polyester gloves (Cabela's used to sell them) under ployester fleece mittens. Toasty and dry all day, and if I need to use my fingers, the mittens have finger slots.

• Like 1

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/winter/1573/

These are pretty warm and not terribly expensive...  I usually keep a couple pairs around.  They are also easy to shuck quickly, one handed, if you need to access your pistol for some reason.  One point for CCW wearing winter gear, is consider carrying a second gun.  Some sort of pocket pistol (J frame is ideal) that can be put in a pocket holster in an exterior pocket where you can actually get at it.  Basically your backup becomes your primary, and your primary becomes the backup.  And shoulder holsters really start to come into their own since you only need to unzip your jacket partway to be able to access.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

That is exactly what I was thinking Netpackrat.

I have noticed already about the carry issues and have on order an M3 holster and already have a LCP in pocket holster, see how that works out.

As for the gloves next time I am in Spokane I can check those out, no one here carries them. 

Thanks

A coat with pockets big enough to put your hands in wearing warm gloves, inside the heavy gloves I would wear light cotton gloves with the index finger and thumb cut off of the right hand.

Changing from working weight to freezing finger weight gloves then becomes as easy as putting your hands in your pockets, and taking them off is just as easy! Those heavy gloves are a MUST if working in bitter cold all day. They need to stay with you all day, and if you need to start nuts and bolts or hook up wires or shoot  dinner - you need the lighter gloves that allow the fingers to feel.

Another IMPORTANT thing about the cold - if you are dressed for the cold and stand around the heater or leave too much outer clothes on in a warm place and then go back out, the sweat will FREEZE YOUR ASS OFF!!!!!!

Edited by G O B
  • Like 2

I like temperature stable powders for my hunting loads whenever possible. I use Benchmark with the Barnes 168 TTSX in my hunting rifle. I'd have to look at my data to give you exact numbers but if memory serves me correctly it get moving just north of 2600fps. Nice accurate, consistent load I believe right near the max charge listed on the Hodgon website. Being one of the Extreme powders, speed doesn't vary with temperature.

If you want I'll look for my load data later.

Standard disclaimer: good data for my rifle, not anyone else's. Start at minimum data, work up. Don't blow yourself up loading, etc.

• Like 2

Why would powder differ if you keep it near the same temps?

Maybe, I'm missing something? I do not reload, not yet.

Temps range from 90s in summer to <0 (easily) in winter so a 100 degree swing means stability counts a bit if you are picky... and what reloader isn't?

Ball park a 100 deg swing can mean 125ish fps or more change depending on the powder as I understand the matter.

I like temperature stable powders for my hunting loads whenever possible. I use Benchmark with the Barnes 168 TTSX in my hunting rifle. I'd have to look at my data to give you exact numbers but if memory serves me correctly it get moving just north of 2600fps. Nice accurate, consistent load I believe right near the max charge listed on the Hodgon website. Being one of the Extreme powders, speed doesn't vary with temperature.

If you want I'll look for my load data later.

Standard disclaimer: good data for my rifle, not anyone else's. Start at minimum data, work up. Don't blow yourself up loading, etc.

Thanks got it.

Stocked up on Varget a while back and it survived the flooding (stored well), its fairly stable at 0.19fps/deg so using that first.

The IMR I have not so much may wait for spring to use that up.

Edited by Rhodes1968