Hello:

I've been thinking these would be good items to have. Looking for recommendations for good semi-auto .22LR pistol, rifle, and suppressor combinations. Main reason being you can carry a lot more .22LR ammo than bigger calibers.

Thinking in terms of some sort of survival situation ... just in case.

I admit I'm getting concerned about N. Korea and the whole E.M.P. scenario. I do have faith in our armed forces though.

Meanwhile, I'm glad .22LR and WMR are back on the market again. Just figure I should have suppressed guns too. I have a Savage 93FV .22WMR, but it's an unsuppressed, bolt-action rifle.

Thanks.

Pistol ...

Sig Mosquito.  At first you will take the stock Bug Gun and throw it against any handy wall as hard as you can.  As it came from the factory, mine was an absolute piece of shit.  Jam-o-matic.  No particular type of .22 ammo seemed to work.  Did I mention cussing in Deutsch?

But ... I decided to get even and not stay mad.

Then ... after a total take down, (tricky ... kinda a gun inside a gun) and doing all the polishing and tuning it now runs 100% with just about any kind of high velocity ammo.  Did I mention the liquid steel to even out the feed ramp-to-chamber?  If you like a challenge, pick a Bug Gun.

www.EliteIron.com        Echo 6" can.  Lots of U-tube videos on tuning the gun.  Elite Iron site will not link.  Dunno why.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Edited by HB of CJ

IMO and why.

Pistols

Ruger SR22. Compact, lightweight (17.5 oz.), reliable, mag catch button is located in a reasonably normal area, and has an aluminum slide (not pot metal like the Walther P22). They can be found with threaded barrels.

Ruger 22/45. Reliable, fairly accurate, optic ready (if you want that), mag catch button is located in a reasonably normal area. (there is a safety recall on guns made before June 2017 I think, See Ruger site for more info).

Rifle

S&W M&P15-22. Very lightweight, reliable with a wide range of loads (yes, even with the insanely loose nose bulk Remington loads), regular AR trigger can be installed (Geissele!), can use AR furniture, very easy to strip and clean, can be broken down to fit in a very small bag or case, very easy on the wallet if you catch a sale, and feels just like home if you shoot AR15s (the controls, I love the controls!). Great AR15 trainer as well. Mags fit in a regular AR mag pouch.

Why not the Walter P22? The slide can crack under fire, but it does take a while. The safety is too easily moved to the safe position. Mag catch is in an odd location and big hands usually don't like it.

Why not the Ruger 10/22. Ergonomics are odd. Mag catch location combined with non-drop-free kills me. Weapon has an uncommon manual of arms. I am not aware of any non-rimfire military type rifle that has the same control layout. Reliability with a wide range of loads can be iffy, especially feed reliability. You have to buy the takedown model to break it down to fit in a small case or bag. I used to be a 10/22 fan, but the first time I fired an M&P15-22 ended that. Sold both nice 10/22s that I had and never looked back.

Just opinions... do what you will and get what you like.

Rifle: ...

Heavily Modified Ruger 10-22.  As stock like already said above and thank you evlbikwphz, it had some issues.  A left hand over sized safety is NOT a good idea.  Vorquartsen, (sp?) insides.  Trigger and guts.  Oversize mag release.  Stock bolt.  Various recoil springs to suit.  Buffer pin.  Eight, (8) inch Green Mountain Charger Barrel, SS, heavy contour, Bentz Chamber, 1x9 twist.

A Frankenstein Butler Creek/Choate folder.  Choate rear, Butler Creek front.  Chopped for the 8" barrel.  Chopped unknown make black plastic fore end top.  Nodak Spud rear site, top rail and front site.  Two extra drilled and taped top receiver screw holes and screws for a total of five.  Various scopes.  A Cheapo but good HEAVY Russian NVMT Yukon 3X nite scope.

Right now the old family 1x4x20 Leopold dangerous game scope.  Superb glass.  Necessary for daylight monster killing including mice, rats, moles, gofers, sometimes skunks.  Now not used much.  Too cold.  Too wet.  SW OR USA.  Usually a summer time garden pest killer.  Very accurate.  One big hole at 25 yards.  Never printed at 50 to 100 yards.  Would be fun.

Elite Iron Echo 6" Can.  Stainless steel.  All parts except tube available from factory.  Very precise.  They want to thread your barrel to make sure.  Very quiet.  Comes apart for cleaning.   You hear the hammer drop.  A POP.  The action cycling.  Then a thump or bong when the Aquila SSS 60 gr. long bullet hits something.  We are playing with a hollow pointer.  Will advise.  FUN!  smile.png

Left handed.  Very little if no gas back in face.  Two, (2) tax stamps.  One for the registered SBR, the other for the can.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

www.gmbarrels.com   

Green Mountain Barrels.

www.eliteiron.com

Echo 6" Can.

www.sportsmansguide.com

.22rf bullet hollow pointer.

Sites will not link.  Dunno why.  No big deal.

Edited by HB of CJ

I'll second the warning about the Walther P22s. They are noted for a lot of QC problems and not honoring their warranties. I know three people personally who loved them until they had things like slide or frame cracking in two. I've talked with several others with similar tales online.  I honestly don't know how a gun company could sell such junk and not go out of business. People wouldn't put up with a failure rate like that from Hi-Point for sure. It's like if jennings was considered quality, and people kept buying them at quality prices. Walther seems to have two sides to their business. Serious guns which get support, and cheapo disposable rimfire pistols which don't.

I've heard a few similar complaints about the sig mosquito, but far fewer.

• Like 1

My suppressed .22 collection consists of multiple rifles and pistols. I have a heavily modified 10/22 that I love. However I recommend an AR based solution for the rifle. The SW MP22 is a good choice, although I also highly recommend one of the Tactical Solutions .22 uppers that mate with a standard AR lower for multiple uses (calibers) I can also recommend the Ruger Mark 3 22/45 Lite (prior to recall) Awesome ergonomics which mimic a traditional 1911. My daughters learned the AR15 and the 1911 .45 from both.

In regards to the .22 supressor, I have only one, so I can not compare to others. However I have been more than satisfied with the Scout Model 19D. It is fully serviceable with iconel baffles which is silent with subs, other than the rifle action and impact with target.

I can't upload the video due to size constraints, but if you want the video of the combination, pm me and I will send it out to you. At 100 yards impact on target is louder than action and report.

Edited by Spacehog

It is hard to go wrong with a .22 can. 22 suppresses well and most cans sound great. The main things that separate them are size, weight, and caliber rating (max: 22lr, 22mag, 5.7, etc). I move quite a bit of cans and the one I would buy right now if I didn't have a 22 can would be the Gemtech GM22. Compact, lightweight, and very easy to break down for cleaning. The monocore baffle and baffle-integrated end cap make it really easy to reassemble as well. If you want an easy way to sort through most popular cans, go to silencershop.com, go to rimfire, add four cans to the compare (box on the bottom of the thumbnails that is made of two arrows), and then compare. Eliminate items you don't like and add more to the compare. 4 items in the compare at a time make it easier to view the specs without scrolling side to side. You can see all relevant specs, weight, length, caliber ratings, etc.

It may be wise to wait. There were some great deals over the past few weeks and I would expect more for Christmas. There have been 'buy an AAC rifle or pistol can get a 22 can for free' and 'buy a SIG SRD45 can and get a SRD22 can for free' sales. I would imagine we might see similar sales soon.

I want a narrow long .22 can. Most loads are going to be subsonic from a 6" or shorter barrel, so a 6" S&W M&P15-22 with a long can tucked up into the handguard would be right up my alley. Light, reliable, and super quiet. Everything I need.

This was a 5.5" build and a regular length can. The handguard has been shortened..

APj4qLm.jpg

• Like 5

Slightly off topic, but my heavy barrel 10/22 is remarkably quiet just using sub sonic .22's. Most of the suppressed pistols I've been around still have a clacky action noise to deal with. I'd really like to shoot a bolt or lever action just to see what level of quiet is really achievable,

• Like 2

+1 Some of the CZ rifles have serious accuracy potential. Ridiculous, like a retina sized target at 50 yards for 15 shots in a row. Some beekeepers in SE GA run a private 50 yd match circuit and the CZs are consistent.

The Henry 22 lever gun jams if you run it fast. Every one of them I tried,, and I tried at least four of them at an indoor shoot at our club. Slow, they work fine, but if you cycle the lever fast, they jam more often than not.

I wrote Henry about the issue, and never heard back. Now that's some great customer support. I'll not buy a Henry product if that's how they treat prospective customers....

My Henry 22lr levergun works great. I can run it fast with no problems. I haven't had to contact their CS for any reason but I don't have any complaints so far. I want them to make a real suppressor host 16" carbine with a shorter 12 round tube so they can thread the barrel. That would be the ultimate varmiter.

Weird, I've never had a problem running my Henry .22lr fast. My Rossi clone of the old pump action Winchester .22 is another story though

...maybe I'm faster? Dunno. I tried several ammo types too.

The Rossi 22 pumps are known jammers. I've seen it and decided to steer clear of them.

Edited by patriot

The Henry 22 lever gun jams if you run it fast. Every one of them I tried,, and I tried at least four of them at an indoor shoot at our club. Slow, they work fine, but if you cycle the lever fast, they jam more often than not.

I wrote Henry about the issue, and never heard back. Now that's some great customer support. I'll not buy a Henry product if that's how they treat prospective customers....

If you have a broken one, they respond well. I think it is a matter of them wanting to protect themselves from liability.

I had an old Stevens semi-auto that you could lock the bolt closed for single shot action.  That would have been a perfect rifle for a can.  Should never have sold it! 

Savage model 6A, I presume? 032.gif

Edited by Gaddis