Opinions saught for semi-auto .308s too

Hi Guys:

Given that this website is primarily about Saiga rifles, I am glad to say I'm a Saiga .223 owner. It's a sweet gun. My philosophy being a gun with the .223 cartridge's better accuracy and AK-47 reliability & toughness is a good gun to own.

However, I am aware of how the .308 is a much more powerful cartridge. So ... my first question is are Saiga .308s still available anywhere? Or did Obama ban them? If so, will they be imported again? I think a Saiga .308 is what I should've gotten, but my thinking was .223 ammo is less expensive to shoot. I currently buy Federal GMM.308 for my Savage 10 bolt rifle.

However, AR-10s and Springfield M-1As are so cool! I'd really like to have a semi-auto .308, but I can't decide between the two. When it comes to AR-10s, I just don't know which brand to buy. One friend swears by his M&P-10. I've seen a Windham Weaponry AR-10 put bullets through the same hole using Hornady steel case ammo. I've heard good things about DPMS AR-10s too.   

Which are D.I.? Which are piston driven? I dunno. Frankly, every D.I. gun I've seen (whether an AR-15 or AR-10) gets a dirty chamber very quickly.

Like the 1911 pistol, the Springfield M-1A/M-14's reputation is unquestionable. It's a proven design. My Dad said he'd hit bullseyes at 600 yards with iron sights with an M-14 during Marine Corps basic training. But it's a bigger gun (except the SOCOM version).

I'm just "talking shop" guys, but the truth is if I had to buy a semi-auto .308 tomorrow I couldn't decide. My general impression is they're all expensive. My credit card is scared.

I originally got a .308 bolt rifle for long-range shots and my Saiga for shorter range, close-in work in case SHTF ever happens. I do have a .45 1911 too (to be replaced by a Glock 9mm). It'd just be cool to have a semi-auto .308 also, but I just can't decide which route to take: AR or Springfield. Either way, I assume I'd spend at least $1,000 for a quality semi-auto .308.

Damn .... shooting is an expensive hobby. It ain't fair. Will someone please invent a rifle tree?

Merry Christmas everyone!

S&W M&P10 or DPMS AR10

ETA: Maybe even a PSA PA10, the latest generation.

The AK based .308s just don't do the cartridge justice, IMO. I had a Vepr 308 for a while and it was a really nice rifle, but shooting it next to a Savage Model 10 in .308 and a DPMS Hunter Lite, it didn't even come close to the accuracy those were delivering. As an iron sight short-range hunting rifle, the AK based stuff is fine if you don't expect impressive accuracy. 

• Like 2

PSA makes a fine gun at a good price. I've seen MOA guns come out of that place.

They're DPMS pattern, not some crazy proprietary crap, so parts are easily available for customization of you want.

I'm glad the OP sought advice.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 4

WoW

Best advice and honest comments I have seen in a long time.

The DPMS is at an all time low cost, and gives you a great platform to build on or use as is.

I have shot many thousands of rounds through AR 10s  the only weakness is extractors, buy a spare

BH

I'm no DPMS fan, but they shine on their .308s compared to the .223 stuff. The Hunter Lite is a really nice rifle and I'm pretty sure a comparable rifle would be hard to build at the same price point. A friend of mine got one and I ended up threading it for him. That would be my only complaint is that they don't offer a threaded barrel on that model. Lots of people are hunting with cans these days, so they may want to rethink that.

ETA: I just went to confirm they haven't already started offering a threaded version and they don't, but that standard M4 dimension Gen 2 receiver/upper/BCG is very attractive. The long receiver and the weight that is a result of it has been one of my biggest reasons to not have one, but that reason is gone now. I "need" one now, but have to many more important things to do with money. Compact Hunter (6.9 lbs!), scrap the gas block, thread the barrel, throw in a trigger, put some decent glass on it, and I'd be golden. Someday...

The PSAs are a great value. About $600 right now for a complete lower and a free floated upper. Kind of hard to argue with the deals they are offering on those.

• Like 2

Dpms gen2 aren't bad performance wise. The proprietary upper and lower are a pita. Handguard choices limited and barrels are limited.

The extension makes sure of that. I'm liking the savage msr. Haven't held one but the specs look good.

My buddies has an m1a and socom that he's let me shoot nostalgic but I prefer ar10. Just my preference.

The new smaller chassis the ar10s are moving to lighter and more ar15 parts are interchangeable was a selling point for me.

The POF Revolution is a bad ass nice shooter but pricey. They are local to me and go to the outdoor expo held by f&g every spring. They only shoot steel case through their guns and one of the guys told me the demo gun had upward of 1000 rounds and no cleaning done just a little lube is all. Tough choice but ar10 and m1a are both good choices. Why choose get both. Lol

PSA makes a fine gun at a good price. I've seen MOA guns come out of that place.

They're DPMS pattern, not some crazy proprietary crap, so parts are easily available for customization of you want.

No, they're actually not.  They are a hybrid that uses elements of both AR-10 "standards" (along with some proprietary shit) and have fun adding upgrades and trying to figure out what parts will work.  My brother built a PA-10 and is now looking at replacing it with Aero Precision's version of the AR-10.  By the time he got it together and working he hated the thing.

http://out-of-battery.com/palmetto-state-armory-psa-ar-10-parts-compatability/

Oh, and it needs to be said in any thread where the M1A is mentioned as an option...  Eff Springfield Armory and the horse they rode in on.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

i have a PTR-91 carbine and love it.  Got 50 or so brand new mags still wrapped in plastic and grease for it for around $25 a few years ago.  Not a lego rifle for sure, accurate enough for me.  The problem is that with mine, I can't shoot (so I am told) certain types of mil spec 7.62 out of it.  Might clog the flutes.  Haven't tested that, but I love the rifle and have enough .308 ammo stocked up that I don't care.  The HK sights are amazing, and I don't utilize scopes, only iron sights for me.  Dressed mine up in the original wood, and just gives me chub every time I fondle it.  That's all the experience I have with .308 semi's.  But since no one else mentioned the PTR, thought I would.

• Like 2

Saiga 7.62x51 semi auto AK47 rifle.  Having owned and shot the M1, 742, HK91, FN49, FN LAR and the M1A, we like her the best.  Maxine Max Blast is our 16.3" bbl Saiga 7.62x51.  She is a keeper.  But she does have a 10 year old NIB bone OEM stock import version twin sister with ALL the loose 9.22® conversion stuff somewhere inside the vast bowels of the gun safes.  Somewhere.  And I hoped to down size.  Yeah sure HB of CJ you Old Coot!  

Edited by HB of CJ

No, they're actually not.  They are a hybrid that uses elements of both AR-10 "standards" (along with some proprietary shit) and have fun adding upgrades and trying to figure out what parts will work.  My brother built a PA-10 and is now looking at replacing it with Aero Precision's version of the AR-10.  By the time he got it together and working he hated the thing.

Gee...my experience was completely different, but then again, I bought current parts from them, not "new company growing pains parts". I wonder why our experiences are so different???????

Gee...my experience was completely different, but then again, I bought current parts from them, not "new company growing pains parts". I wonder why our experiences are so different???????

Oh, so my brother just bought his parts from them at the wrong time.  I guess that makes the problems his fault then; I stand corrected.

7400 and 740 in .30-06 here.  They're ok, but a PITA to clean!  I did see one company making aftermarket parts for them.

Thanks. Just wondering because a guy wanted to trade a 7400 in decent shape for the Savage that I restocked and worked the trigger on. Still not sure.

If you have the 7400, well, everyone can make a mistake.  But I wouldn't trade for it. 

I got mine after my uncle stole my grandfather's 742 that I would use for deer hunting, and also his favorite 300 Savage.  I never saw grandpa that pissed!  After that, the will got changed, uncle got $100, and mom got $1M.

• Like 3

Good decision. Every Savage I own is accurate and just plain WORKS.

I think Remington has simply out-marketed Savage. From the perspective of working on both Savage and Remington bolt guns, if I ever buy a bolt gun, it will be a Savage. I'm not crazy about the Accu-trigger, but it works well after getting used to it.

• Like 2

I think Remington has simply out-marketed Savage. From the perspective of working on both Savage and Remington bolt guns, if I ever buy a bolt gun, it will be a Savage. I'm not crazy about the Accu-trigger, but it works well after getting used to it.

Decades' worth of pre-accutrigger Savages out there, that can be rebarreled at home by anyone with a few hand tools.  Timney makes a pretty good replacement trigger for them, too.

• Like 1

Decades' worth of pre-accutrigger Savages out there, that can be rebarreled at home by anyone with a few hand tools.  Timney makes a pretty good replacement trigger for them, too.

Mine didn't have the Accu-trigger. The plain old trigger is super easy to work, though, and there are plenty of instructional videos. I made it so there is zero over-travel and no take up. It breaks clean and crisp at just over 2 1/2 pounds with a friend's trigger pull scale. 

• Like 1

Can you still buy Veprs in the 308..??

There are probably a few rattling around somewhere (code for an entire warehouse full) and as time rolls by and sales continue to drag along I am sure vendors will have at least a few of those "Guess what we found in the back of the warehouse" events.

• Like 3

I have a Springfield M1A Scout Rifle that I like very much. In fact, I need to knock the dust off of it and take it out for some exercise sometime soon!  smile.png

i really liked a scout squad i had, but holding it diff so i wouldnt trip the op rod was annnnnnnnooooying...

whats your budget like op?

Can you still buy Veprs in the 308..??

There are probably a few rattling around somewhere (code for an entire warehouse full) and as time rolls by and sales continue to drag along I am sure vendors will have at least a few of those "Guess what we found in the back of the warehouse" events.

yep, classic just had some folders for.............$799!!!!

almost got one... the folders are just so uncomfortable.  but yes, no-one knows about vepr hardly,  folks on akfiles trying to rip each other off with those fm-11 or whatever but the demand just isnt there.

fals are nice but the precision just isnt there... maybe they should be revisited with a nice un-created yet mid cartridge tween 556 lenght and 308 length

Mine didn't have the Accu-trigger. The plain old trigger is super easy to work, though, and there are plenty of instructional videos. I made it so there is zero over-travel and no take up. It breaks clean and crisp at just over 2 1/2 pounds with a friend's trigger pull scale. 

Never had any issue with the trigger, always found it excellent.

Remington may not last the decade in tact, finances pretty grim over there.