Opinions saught for semi-auto .308s too

revolution by pof would be cool as well.... 308 in 556 receivers.... pretty cool!

Dpms gen2 aren't bad performance wise. The proprietary upper and lower are a pita. Handguard choices limited and barrels are limited.
The extension makes sure of that. I'm liking the savage msr. Haven't held one but the specs look good.
My buddies has an m1a and socom that he's let me shoot nostalgic but I prefer ar10. Just my preference.

The new smaller chassis the ar10s are moving to lighter and more ar15 parts are interchangeable was a selling point for me.
The POF Revolution is a bad ass nice shooter but pricey. They are local to me and go to the outdoor expo held by f&g every spring. They only shoot steel case through their guns and one of the guys told me the demo gun had upward of 1000 rounds and no cleaning done just a little lube is all. Tough choice but ar10 and m1a are both good choices. Why choose get both. Lol

just rereadin this post.... is the pof guy a shyster like david fillers of ddi infamy or is that just me from watching random youtube vids and never met them?  that pof revolution is gonna be a big deal eventually....something like that in DI with the 6.5 in there for the fanboys is gonna be epic no?

i have a PTR-91 carbine and love it.  Got 50 or so brand new mags still wrapped in plastic and grease for it for around $25 a few years ago.  Not a lego rifle for sure, accurate enough for me.  The problem is that with mine, I can't shoot (so I am told) certain types of mil spec 7.62 out of it.  Might clog the flutes.  Haven't tested that, but I love the rifle and have enough .308 ammo stocked up that I don't care.  The HK sights are amazing, and I don't utilize scopes, only iron sights for me.  Dressed mine up in the original wood, and just gives me chub every time I fondle it.  That's all the experience I have with .308 semi's.  But since no one else mentioned the PTR, thought I would.

yep i had a gross hesse one that didnt explode when i had it, seemed laser accurate soft recoiling, just the brass mangling annoyed me... cant have your cake and eat to i guess.... i needs a decent one again though,  really its a good option, and they can be had on sale for dern near 600?

i have a PTR-91 carbine and love it. Got 50 or so brand new mags still wrapped in plastic and grease for it for around $25 a few years ago. Not a lego rifle for sure, accurate enough for me. The problem is that with mine, I can't shoot (so I am told) certain types of mil spec 7.62 out of it. Might clog the flutes. Haven't tested that, but I love the rifle and have enough .308 ammo stocked up that I don't care. The HK sights are amazing, and I don't utilize scopes, only iron sights for me. Dressed mine up in the original wood, and just gives me chub every time I fondle it. That's all the experience I have with .308 semi's. But since no one else mentioned the PTR, thought I would.

I have a CETME .308 with less than 300 rounds through it. I think I can see a crack on one of it's welds.

I'll have to strip the finish to see it better.

It shoots nice. Low recoil due to being almost 10 pounds.

The wood, profile and a $299.99 price tag sold me mine.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Good decision. Every Savage I own is accurate and just plain WORKS.

I think Remington has simply out-marketed Savage. From the perspective of working on both Savage and Remington bolt guns, if I ever buy a bolt gun, it will be a Savage. I'm not crazy about the Accu-trigger, but it works well after getting used to it.

Decades' worth of pre-accutrigger Savages out there, that can be rebarreled at home by anyone with a few hand tools.  Timney makes a pretty good replacement trigger for them, too.

Mine didn't have the Accu-trigger. The plain old trigger is super easy to work, though, and there are plenty of instructional videos. I made it so there is zero over-travel and no take up. It breaks clean and crisp at just over 2 1/2 pounds with a friend's trigger pull scale. 

Mine was pre-accutrigger and it was a perfectly good trigger, and adjustable as you mention.  Nothing at all wrong with it.  But I also helped a buddy install the Timney in his, and the Timney is superior.  A worthwhile addition, and it wasn't too terribly difficult to install.

• Like 1

revolution by pof would be cool as well.... 308 in 556 receivers.... pretty cool!

Dpms gen2 aren't bad performance wise. The proprietary upper and lower are a pita. Handguard choices limited and barrels are limited.

The extension makes sure of that. I'm liking the savage msr. Haven't held one but the specs look good.

My buddies has an m1a and socom that he's let me shoot nostalgic but I prefer ar10. Just my preference.

The new smaller chassis the ar10s are moving to lighter and more ar15 parts are interchangeable was a selling point for me.

The POF Revolution is a bad ass nice shooter but pricey. They are local to me and go to the outdoor expo held by f&g every spring. They only shoot steel case through their guns and one of the guys told me the demo gun had upward of 1000 rounds and no cleaning done just a little lube is all. Tough choice but ar10 and m1a are both good choices. Why choose get both. Lol

just rereadin this post.... is the pof guy a shyster like david fillers of ddi infamy or is that just me from watching random youtube vids and never met them? that pof revolution is gonna be a big deal eventually....something like that in DI with the 6.5 in there for the fanboys is gonna be epic no?

i have a PTR-91 carbine and love it. Got 50 or so brand new mags still wrapped in plastic and grease for it for around $25 a few years ago. Not a lego rifle for sure, accurate enough for me. The problem is that with mine, I can't shoot (so I am told) certain types of mil spec 7.62 out of it. Might clog the flutes. Haven't tested that, but I love the rifle and have enough .308 ammo stocked up that I don't care. The HK sights are amazing, and I don't utilize scopes, only iron sights for me. Dressed mine up in the original wood, and just gives me chub every time I fondle it. That's all the experience I have with .308 semi's. But since no one else mentioned the PTR, thought I would.

yep i had a gross hesse one that didnt explode when i had it, seemed laser accurate soft recoiling, just the brass mangling annoyed me... cant have your cake and eat to i guess.... i needs a decent one again though, really its a good option, and they can be had on sale for dern near 600?

Typed a paragraph that didn't workout.

Long post shortened.

They don't seem to be the type to be crooked. Warranty issues handled without issue. Although I've read of some that had different experience. When I get enough saved the revolution is on my wishlist.

Edited by garnaz

Love my SAI M1A Standard, great piece of hardware.

All the feel of a rock solid ol'school battle rifle that is very accurate.

I've shot mine out to 600 yards and had no problem staying on a target.

I only wish I'd splurged and got a National Match now, selling this one to do so is not out of the question.

My Saiga ver.21 was a love/hate relationship which almost saw it sold a few times due to the piss poor chin weld with a scope.

But Spacehog worked a bit of magicwith a Vepr stock creatingan adjustable comb for me, and now it is a match made in heaven.

It'll never place in an accuracy comp, it isn't sub MOA, but it is definitely a 2 MOA rifle that is a pleasure to shoot.

Heck, every once in awhile, when everything just clicks together perfectly it'll almost group a cloverleaf.

It has a lifetime contract with me now.

I also have a Savage 16 FCSS/Weather Warrior in .308, not a semi-auto but a fine bolt action that has taken several deer now.

Savage is highly under rated.

• Like 1

I only have a Zastava M77, no Saiga or Vepr .308. The best I have been able to shoot with it is a little under 2 MOA using German MEN 7.62 NATO ball surplus. Good for an AK but not the best that .308 can do.

Setting up optics on an AK is expensive. All .308 AK mags are expensive. All .308 AKs are heavy.

Going back in time I would have rather spent my money on an AR-10 of some type, but at this point the M77 is somewhat collectible since they were available so briefly, so I will probably never sell it.

I have looked into building an AR-10 for hunting this year but I have turned towards my attention to 6.5 Grendel, mostly so that I can use standard small frame receivers and parts, and to avoid having to deal with the unique standards that differentiate various AR-10 platforms.

FgMR2Us.jpg

Edited by mancat

The new AR-10 caught my interest, when they first came out.

The wife protested anymore new guns.

I marked time until I discovered Saiga conversions. Bam! I had two Saigas and two kits!

Time well spent, IMHO.

She bought me a bullet making kiln for Christmas, guess I'll need a black powder pistol now. I'm not into reloading.

I have a .36 Pietta in my sites. 9mm power circa 1851.

Edited by Sim_Player