Took the dive, bought a cheap C39V2A

Got it for $500 at the pawn shop. Will post pics later today. Everything looks good and the bolt is showing almost no wear. Also, the chevron brake was missing but I had spare tapco ak74 type that screwed on and looks really nice. I've been reading horror stories over at some of the other AK sites about headspacing issues and what some believe is soft metal problems. I cant help but think they may be looking at it all wrong.

Unlined steel barrel? I guess you could keep it wet in oil.

I have one steel barrel that loves rust. Automotive abrasives are your friend.

Most guns in WW2 were bare steel.

Shoot the crap out of it and let us know!

The price sounds good!

Keep it oiled.

Edited by Sim_Player

Yes. The bore is nitrided. Its really a very nice rifle, but heavy. Hope to finally shoot it tomorrow since I'm getting out of work early. But then again, I have worked late all this week, so maybe I won't. Fingers crossed.

That means you likely have one from the later production runs, IIRC. Or at least not the first two or 3. So you probably don't have the rear sight leaf which is prone to fall apart.

Finally shot it.  Very soft recoil.  I'd dare say softer than my saiga 5.45.  I think it's the weight.  Took pics of the bolt and carrier while cleaning it a while ago.  For being a pawn shop find, I'd say this rifle is in excellent shape.  

• Like 1

Finish wear is one thing but if it starts to peen or chip then the metallurgy is off. Just keep an eye on her and if it starts looking like things are running soft, check HS. For $500 these days its worth a few thousand rounds if you can make it that far. As has been stated the RAS is the one that's been really prone to grenading so you may have just caught a really good deal

I looked at the early ones but, the barrels put me off. I'm pretty sure the early barrels were untreated.

It sounds like a nice find!

I'm a bit behind on them, but I had researched them when they were new to market. The first gen ones came with a couple different types of untreated american barrels with cut rifling IIRC. Then they had a chrome lined US barrel briefly. Then they switched to nitrided button rifled barrels, which I think they stuck with. Those latter seem to be pretty good barrels.

All that means is there's no mileage under it. Unless you bought it new, you don't know if it had 5rds put through it showing no wear or 5000rds put through it showing no wear. Pawn shop find and the average Fudd gun owner more than likely never shot it. Someones wife probably made them get rid of it.

Not sure i'd have taken a chance on it, knowing the track records of the model, not to mention the track records of anything CAI builds.

WASR's can be had for about $530 these days.

Just saying.

Already knew about the ras. But the C39v2 is a different rifle. I'm not going to worry about it. I've got reference pics to look at to eval wear. If it starts going south, I'll either repair or sell as scrap.

You did watch the video with the C39V2A failing right? It's built by the same garbage company, in the same garbage manner, with the same garbage parts.

But hey, keep an eye on it. It might not self destruct. You got a "good deal". 

Dude, this is my 16th AK, but the only milled one I was willing to pay for. If the bolt craps out, I'll replace it. If the rifle craps out, I'll sell it. I've got plenty to shoot. Nothing wrong with having a cheap AK to wear out and replace as opposed to my Russian ones that I currently cannot. But thanks for your concern.

Good pictures ...

I would be greatly concerned with that locking lug bolt gouge with the rest of the gun seemingly in such good condition.  Can you establish exact head space before blasting away?  Also, if you can and want to, how about a Rockwell hardness test will all of the vital parts?

Or; if your round count is low you probably will be OK?  Also be careful with filing down that lug gouge.  If a file smooths it down you may have a very soft bolt?  Dunno.  If you can't use a file, (too hard) then remember the heat treat may be very thin indeed.  Just more fun.

Respectfully ...

HB, which gouge? Are you talking about the second pic? I had also noticed that bit of a "step" so I compared the bolt to my other AKM's and noticed the same step in those bolts (yugo, chinese, bulgarian). Don't currently have headspace guages, but looking to get some.

Thank you.  I see a definite gouge in the right beginning locking lug.   Can you check the trunnion where the gouge would gouge?  Would it be possible to easily check the Rockwell hardness?

If you feel inclined to file out that bolt locking lug gouge AND if it can be done with basic hobby type files then that MAY indicate soft steel?  Dunno.  Anyhow just have fun and blast away.  Be safe.

No dog.