3 feet of snow in Whitehall MI now. When I went there was a foot or so and it was as beautiful as any snow scene postcard. I can't imagine what 3 feet looks like. Probably like nature has taken it back for good.

3 feet of snow in Whitehall MI now. When I went there was a foot or so and it was as beautiful as any snow scene postcard. I can't imagine what 3 feet looks like. Probably like nature has taken it back for good.

This was four years ago when my plow hadn't even touched snow yet. I had done it all with a snowblower until it beat me up and froze me enough that sprung the bank and bought the plow. So glad I did. Oh, not Whitehall, MI. This is Whitehall, NY.

DSC_4226_zpsncxyseth.jpg

Edited by YOT
  • Like 2

That's some serious kit.

Got word from the in-laws in Whitehall that they have nearly killed their snowblower. I would imagine right now they might be like generators when we have a hurricane hit. 2x regular price.

Canadians are hardcore. I always forget about them when I am thinking about how cold it must be in the North. Then it's... whoa, what about Canada?

We had dinner at Cracker Barrel and almost every vehicle in the parking lot was from the North and had salt on it, even one from Quebec. I would run from that hardcore winter too if I had the means. I'd come back when it melts, lol.

Ah Cracker Barrlel in Fl during the winter!

Good luck getting a seat, then when you do you cannot hear anything because of all the old people who are hard of hearing are talking over one another.

And their coffee is like walking along the beach ( very close to water)

If it was not for the wife I would never go to one and that is when we go on vacation in Mid Nov.

We call them snow birds. I call them people who wake up with nothing to do but to waste your time over dumb thing birds.

Stay warm.

Cracker Barrel is one of the last few chain restaurants that I'll still visit, at least around here. 

-22° when I got up. -13° right now in full sun. We expect a high of 9°. One of my new granddaughters is being Christened this morning, so it's a great day.

• Like 2

It is nice and dry around here right now and that takes so much of the edge off. I'm not sure we will see a high of 9* here during my lifetime, but you never know.

+1 Indeed, it will be one of the best days.

Old farts like us would never be able to do long trips on the Interstate without Cracker Barrel's!  Perfectly named - usually a bunch of us old Crackers sitting there!

They DO have a perverse sense of humor, just to fuck with us, they make the layout of all their restaurants  the exact same >EXCEPT< they reverse the mens and ladies bathrooms in every 5th one - just to fuck with us!

On a completely different note, I found myself challenged by a BMW on a completely empty road on a 18 degree afternoon. My Ecobeast SHO was happy happy happy as it passed him well into the triple digits and still pulling strong. I haven't been that stupid in about 25 years but it was fun. Cold dense air+ turbo charged engines=a noticeable increase in power. See, cold isn't always bad.

• Like 3

Do not get me wrong , the foods great just do not like week coffee.

Never gave the bathrooms a thought but your right.

Our problem down here is for 6 months we are the end of the line for the snow birds.

In fact we stop eating out untill they go home.

This morning it got down to 49.

Stay warm

• Like 1

On a completely different note, I found myself challenged by a BMW on a completely empty road on a 18 degree afternoon. My Ecobeast SHO was happy happy happy as it passed him well into the triple digits and still pulling strong. I haven't been that stupid in about 25 years but it was fun. Cold dense air+ turbo charged engines=a noticeable increase in power. See, cold isn't always bad.

And burn premium too!  Keeps the mileage up in winter.  My Eco in the Escape loves hot roads and premium for a 28.9 MPG average.

We got snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, in Seattle, WA. The first time since the mid-1800's.

This year was truly blessed!

2" of snow was gone in two days.

I always imagined snow being really common there, but never considered what effect being so close to the ocean might have on that.

Today will be a great day. It is warm enough to finally have concrete work done! We have had a pool dug, pre-plumbed, and steeled for about 2 weeks now. The hole was wet and we are on the third sump pump. It has caved in a little, but not bad enough to have to redo any form work or steel. It has been a stressful nightmare and it is finally about to be over. We generally have these inspected the following day of steel completion and then have concrete installed the day after that. Somehow I have not let thinking about how wrong it could go consume me. 

About +50F today in SW OR USA.  About 42N, 123W.  Kinda.  About 60 road miles from the Pacific Ocean.  Last year this time we had 26" of snow on the ground.  Snow bound for 8 days.  No real problem.  Full pantry.  Never got that cold.  This winter has been wet and slightly above normal temperatures.

One reason we moved here in 1987 was the climate and weather.  Usually very nice.  Not cold.  Summer A/C not needed. 

I did find out that the tire chains I carried in the Suzuki Suicide Baby Jeep did not fit the tires.  Carried them for 8 years.  Shit.  Had the Suicide in some crazy places also.  Assumed I had chains.  Poor judgment.  Never checked to see if they would actually fit, which they did not. Not good. Embarrassing.  sad.png

Edit:  Found out the chains did not fit when at the auto shop.  The new mud and snow tires worked very well.  Did not have to chain up which was fortunate.  When the Suicide was being serviced on a hunch I pulled the chains out of their case and tried to fit them on the tires.  Way way way too small.  Shit.!

Edited by HB of CJ

I used to have a 2WD S-10 Blazer. It worked fine in Arizona, since it was mostly dry out there (did some great off-roading with it), but when I moved back to PA I thought I might need chains. I bought a set, and practiced putting them on in the driveway on a nice day.

The two times I actually needed them, I was able to pull into a service garage (drove a school bus at that time) and put them on inside. The garage was at the bottom of a pretty good hill, I doubt the lil' Blazer would have made it without the chains those times.  :)

• Like 1

We got snow on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, in Seattle, WA. The first time since the mid-1800's.

This year was truly blessed!

2" of snow was gone in two days.

Heh that same storm dumped two feet on us and lot of that is still there amazing.gif 

• 2 weeks later...

We have had a pretty good one so far, highs in the 30s lows in the 20s lot less snow than expected in the panhandle.

Yall back east is taking all our cold... nah thats ok you can keep it.

What cold? It's 60 and sunny today smile.png

Well maybe not you :)