What is your favorite Saiga 12 build ever?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be doing a 6.5" on a KS-12 in a few months. I suppose we will see how it really stacks up against the S12. I hope it has the same potential. That would be refreshing.

Functionally, the KS-12 is exactly the same as an S12, there is absolutely no difference. In terms of materials quality, there are also absolutely no caveats. No downside. Trunnions, bolt, bolt carrier, carrier rails, gas block, and even carrier rails are all top notch. All parts are 100% interchangeable with Saiga 12 parts.

From a builder's perspective, you'll need to pay attention to the tighter tolerances. There is absolutely no "wiggle room".

I look forward to seeing that 6.5" SBS build, Anthony :)

• Like 3
  • 9 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, Jetg23 said:

Did you ever end up doing this 6.5” build ?

Not yet. I'm working my way toward it though. There is quite a bit in front of it, but as soon as my pool company finishes the last remaining contracts things will go into turbo mode. I'm extremely excited about it. Free at last!

ETA: Believe I'll be posting pics and video of it. It will be cool to lay down video of the shortest great running KS-12. I may even do a 6.5" Lynx.

I think I may have a new favorite. This was a customer gun. It is basically what evl grade was meant to be, minus the AK100 stock. The gun just looks clean and serious. No BS anywhere, what you need on a SBS and nothing that you don't. There is a ton of detail work on this thing.

JXDelEN.png

hTmdlge.png

dZJZQ4C.png

• Like 2
12 hours ago, evlblkwpnz said:

Not yet. I'm working my way toward it though. There is quite a bit in front of it, but as soon as my pool company finishes the last remaining contracts things will go into turbo mode. I'm extremely excited about it. Free at last!

ETA: Believe I'll be posting pics and video of it. It will be cool to lay down video of the shortest great running KS-12. I may even do a 6.5" Lynx.

I'll be eagerly waiting to see anything on the KS12 build.  I'll probly have to have a 6.5 after that..lol.  I'm exited for you too ! That will mean more videos on your channel , I've probly watch most of them multiple times. Especially the 6.5" saiga vid. The one that got me hooked 😁

• Like 1
10 hours ago, saltydecimator said:

that is a cool LH charger. 

Handmade from flat bar and the trigger guard too, just like mine. I needed a solution to left side folder with left side charging handle that would not poke the user when slung, strong, quick to manipulate, could be used without a hand, didn't add a lot of weight to the carrier/weapon, simple, and generally did not add much width to the weapon. Not bad on the eyes was a welcome side effect. That design checked all of the boxes. A lot of thought went into my own weapon, the build template for evl grade builds. 

I never liked others' efforts at left hand charging, save maybe the Lynch, but it didn't check all of the boxes. It is a very cool piece though. 

I can't believe no one has commented about the short throw selector and the selector stop. I considered everyone's efforts at external stops and came up with the idea of an internal stop. What could be cleaner looking? It isn't quick or easy to do, but it yields a clean look and carries out the smooth feel of the exterior.

The only thing the evl grade builds don't have is my trigger. It is killing me to not have time to press that forward.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, saltydecimator said:

oh ya never noticed that.  details elude me in pics.  if i had it in hand i would notice.... vids of it runnning?????!

Same video as the "can't hit without sights" thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_68wZDsoTE

On 12/9/2018 at 9:41 AM, evlblkwpnz said:

Handmade from flat bar and the trigger guard too, just like mine. I needed a solution to left side folder with left side charging handle that would not poke the user when slung, strong, quick to manipulate, could be used without a hand, didn't add a lot of weight to the carrier/weapon, simple, and generally did not add much width to the weapon. Not bad on the eyes was a welcome side effect. That design checked all of the boxes. A lot of thought went into my own weapon, the build template for evl grade builds. 

I never liked others' efforts at left hand charging, save maybe the Lynch, but it didn't check all of the boxes. It is a very cool piece though. 

I can't believe no one has commented about the short throw selector and the selector stop. I considered everyone's efforts at external stops and came up with the idea of an internal stop. What could be cleaner looking? It isn't quick or easy to do, but it yields a clean look and carries out the smooth feel of the exterior.

The only thing the evl grade builds don't have is my trigger. It is killing me to not have time to press that forward.

What's the difference is your trigger and what goes in an Evl build ?

7 hours ago, Jetg23 said:

What's the difference is your trigger and what goes in an Evl build ?

It is for speed and precision. What goes in customer guns is for speed. I want to bring it to market. There will be one in every build at that point.

On 12/9/2018 at 6:41 AM, evlblkwpnz said:

That's cool, it wasn't obvious because it looks like it is just partially down.  Is there enough engagement surface without it all the way down?  ("mostly safe" as opposed to "safe")

8 hours ago, pedal2alloy said:

Doh, that's right.  So halfway down is enough for the trigger to clear, or do you have to relieve some material to ensure no interference?

We all have brainfarts, lol. Not a big deal.

No, that amount of travel is all it takes and I do some other work to reduce the amount of trigger travel with the selector in the safe position, so it is technically 'safer'.  I'm not sure why no one else thought of a finely tuned short-throw selector. It takes time and a little attention to detail to perfect and that is probably why we don't see it elsewhere. It's a detail that I ran on my own gun for a long time and figured people would like it on theirs. I like the absence of an exterior stop and the level look of the selector when in the fire position. It looks like it should have been that way from the start. I wish Mikhail was still around. I'd like to hear his opinion on some of the work I have been doing. I think I do the AK based shotgun a little justice, in a tasteful manner, no crap on his AK ;)

That's cool and all, but IMO it still wants a finger shelf so that you can positively reach and operate it with your index finger. No doubt it is possible to sweep yours, but having a solid place to rest the finger, even if small would be the ideal.

Are you talking about an additional means of disengaging the safety toward the middle of the selector? If so, the customer could send a Krebs (the original style, IIRC) and I'd work with it. I made one for a personal gun that was similar to the Vepr 12 unit that can be quickly bumped with the top of the hand. It works great, but adds a little width. The only reason I was going through any additional measures on the selector with that gun was for multi-gun matches, but that doesn't happen around here anymore.

Yeah, I was meaning krebbs style. I've made and riveted on similar things, which IMO also matches the AK look naturally. Krebbs fits the aesthetics of the curves you are grinding in more naturally though. Their finger shelf is curved in a way that feels "quality".

• Like 2

When I was making these as gifts and expiriments for myself, I started with a big shelf and cut it down in stages until I wished I had left more on. Going for the low snag, but still positive instinctive motion. I found that I wanted it to stick about 5/16" past the flat of the lever. You can radius the corners so that from top view it is basically a semi circle or trapezoid without harming its function.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, gunfun said:

When I was making these as gifts and expiriments for myself, I started with a big shelf and cut it down in stages until I wished I had left more on. Going for the low snag, but still positive instinctive motion. I found that I wanted it to stick about 5/16" past the flat of the lever. You can radius the corners so that from top view it is basically a semi circle or trapezoid without harming its function.

I have one of those. Thank you again. :)