converting a 55 gal barrel into a death star chimenea, math help?

il_570xN.1031740660_qgfi.jpg

ok so i  dont have $10khorror.gif  laying around to buy this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/461112928/6-ft-death-star-fire-pit?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_a-art_and_collectibles-other&utm_custom1=531b8e6c-229d-4be8-957c-6f67217bcb8e&gclid=CjwKCAiA7ovTBRAQEiwAo8dPcevhriClhdere-NugKCwTU3gL7HHpol_3Sf_2OLwprNhMpCm10hJlhoCjR0QAvD_BwE

so i thought i could build one outta a 55 gal drum.  prob is my math skills are weaaaaaaaaaaaaaak.

so my question is, what is the radius of corner pieces to make the tube into a half circle at the bottom and top.

my plans are to take the barrel, cut top 1/3 off to make it more box like and proportional, then cut the 22.75" barrel up the side into 8 equal tabs that will fold to center and weld to each other, but  i cant figure out the math how to get all 8 pieces measured and radiused to interface with each other and make the "ball"  feel me?  my math says 71.435" in circumfrence, giving 8.93" tabs, but getting the radius of the 8.93" tab edges is whats confounding me... i drew it out, and i know its possible to figure out like Pythogoras, i just dont know the math.  and where to put the origin of the radius, cause thats gonna be "big"

Edited by saltydecimator

The easy way might be buy some scrap heavy angle iron.  Cut and bolt together a rough circular outline.  Then heat and bend some HD steel strap strips to outline the circular form.  The frame does not have to be exact.  Only a good outline of what you want. 

Then buy more scrap 10 gage steel sheet metal.  In long 3 inch strips better.  Then heat soften and bend the strips around the frame.  Go slow.  Have fun.  Lots of beer.  Eventually you will encompass the circular form.  Leave room for the big hinged door.

Consider chinker type overlaps between the cut to fit 10 gage steel outer layer.  Hot hammered welded together as much as possible.  Do consider lots of nuts and bolts to hold the entire thing together.  These could be faked as armor plate bolts all over.

Then the fun part.  Spot heat the steel and hot work the strips together.  Primitive welding.  Gets very hot.  Hammer with a sledge and backing irons.  Expect to get burned some.  Extreme protective clothing helps.  This will take much time but some money.

Once you got it just about where you want it, try to heat the entire thing to anneal it.  Be sure to line the bottom and flame impingement areas with thin fire brick where doable and thick where possible.  Design many air vents to control the heat.  Have fun.

Do not be afraid to use plain old nuts and bolts to structurally hold the thing together.  Also to strengthen suspect welds and seams.  Three big legs are better than four smaller legs.  Consider an appropriately sized smoke stack vertical vent to vent the thing.

be smart

Buy an old out of date spherical propane tank...a few cents on the pound cheap

A little plasma cutting and violla  deathstar BBQ

BH 

PS a Sabre saw or saws all will do as well

PS PS...HB of CJ.......you may be insane.....just kiddingbig_smile.gif

Edited by BlackHeart762
  • Like 5

You will need thicker steel in the long run.  Trust me on this one.   But then again the burn scars are fading.  It was fun.  Years ago we made a copy of one of the first successful old wood heat stoves.  Used Iron.  Forged welded.  Actually worked but somewhat smoky.  Leaked.   :)

PS:  We did NOT use the guts of a retired appropriately sized propane tank.  Great idea.  Will save time but may not be thick enough. Oil drums not nearly thick enough ... but MIGHT work for a barbecue.  Depends upon how hot for how long.  For cooking ribs and stuff MAY work..

Linux Mint 17 Spell Check sometimes is a HOOT! 

• Like 1

I'd personally fabricate up a nice pair of teats than a death star. :up:

And the real treat would be how my lib. neighbor would probably s**t herself blind when she saw them. :devil:

Now how did that big link of kielbasa sausage manage to fall directly betwixt the breasts, Ann? :lolol:

• Like 2

I saw a giant Armadillo smoker/ grille in south Dakota at a bbq place.

It was fabricated from two 250gal propane tanks and lots of VERY artistic metal fabrication.

I wish I still had a pic...It was awesome

BH

PS just found pics with google

Edited by BlackHeart762
  • Like 1

A female torso, face up, that opened to reveal a BBQ grill would be cool.

Lemme guess where the fish and crabs would go on that grill? laugh.png

Not if it were mine...

1. The women I do...BATHE.

2. I don't eat seafood. ick.

• Like 1

An epic anatomically correct supine positioned human female form barbecue sounds like a hoot.  Try to be as non political correct as possible.  The envisioned possible final designs beckons.  Hot dogs slots.  Hamburger discharge places.  Rib resections regions.  Oh boy!   :)  

• Like 2

An epic anatomically correct supine positioned human female form barbecue sounds like a hoot.  Try to be as non political correct as possible.  The envisioned possible final designs beckons.  Hot dogs slots.  Hamburger discharge places.  Rib resections regions.  Oh boy!   smile.png

It's gonna have to be someone with mad skills for that. Not me. I'd LOVE to see one.

A female torso, face up, that opened to reveal a BBQ grill would be cool.

Lemme guess where the fish and crabs would go on that grill? laugh.png

Not if it were mine...

1. The women I do...BATHE.

2. I don't eat seafood. ick.

Real women DON'T smell like flowers and shit (or even Ivory soap) down there unless they just washed or they're trying to cover something up. wink.png

There's not much difference between a clean cooter and a raw clam in taste or texture (or so I've been told). unsure.png

I just don't like sand grit in my seafood (or cooter).  I'll eat the hell out of a nice lobster though 032.gif

Edited by Gaddis

A guy I know has done a few of these that are very cool. Two barrels welded together vertically with a grate in the bottom to allow air to flow under the fuel made for a cool chimney effect. Specificially a 40' tall spiraling tornado of fire coming out the top when forklift pallets were the fuel. you need a grate on the top too, to make sure it can't blast burning paper out the top.

They were memorable.

The first one I recall had two barrels stacked and sort of had a succubus dancing in flames as the art. I don't have any pics of that.

Here are some of a more recent one:

post-17871-0-94146500-1516907925_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-84346300-1516907949_thumb.jpg

If you are thinking of doing something like this, I suggest using a plasma cutter, and skipping the barrels. They are too thin, and will rust out sooner than you like. A lot of old water heaters are perfect, being about 24" in diameter and ~1/8" thick. That's the part under the insulation.

Same guy also made this:

post-17871-0-44025100-1516908320_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-83447500-1516908358_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-65913400-1516908369_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-43988800-1516908388_thumb.jpg

I wish I had taken better pictures of that.

• Like 2

hahaha bbqrs are high on my list, as well as titties, and a plasma cutter sounds bad asss... need to start outbuilding to put all this stuff in!!

got nat gas plumbed outside so i gonna cheat in them regards, for a while at least....

i have done an ugly drum smoker, but they are an ass pain to kill the charcoal in when you done.

i found this site:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55168.html

dr rick seems to respond with a reasonable looking equation... freaking long though!!

Edited by saltydecimator

Overthinking.

Take circumference of circle, divide by # of segments you want to cut (less pieces = easier, more pieces = smoother sphere.) . From 1/2 pipe cut slices that go from the measurement of the circumference divided by the number of segment in the center of the slices, to 0 at the edges of the 1/2 pipe.

hahaha bbqrs are high on my list, as well as titties, and a plasma cutter sounds bad asss... need to start outbuilding to put all this stuff in!!

got nat gas plumbed outside so i gonna cheat in them regards, for a while at least....

i have done an ugly drum smoker, but they are an ass pain to kill the charcoal in when you done.

i found this site:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/55168.html

dr rick seems to respond with a reasonable looking equation... freaking long though!!

Plasma cutters are one of the most satisfying tools to work with. Very easy to cut, no mess, if using clean metal no fumes. Minimal heat problems with tempered metals. Water cooled is way nicer to work with. You can get really clean cuts with a straight edge or a compass type jig too. Very easy to rig up to a CNC router table, at almost no additional cost. I want to own one very badly. The air cooled type are fast, but if you are cutting irregular surfaces, you will gunk up the cooling holes and arc through the nozzle just enough to start hating the cost of little copper nozzles. The other annoyance is that most of them have an automatic cool down cycle after every arc. Bump the trigger inadvertently, or decide you want to change your grip, and you are tapping your foot for 45 seconds or so before you can reset.

• Like 2