Saiga .223 questions.

OK, first I am new here (hang out at ar15.com ALOT) and looking for some info on the Saiga .223. Seems to be an ideal trunk gun if you will, and since I am HEAVILY invested in the .223 caliber with ARs seems like a natural direction for me...

Also, I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked before. I searched here and other places and am looking for some clarification on some Saiga/import firearm specific questions that I haven't gotten concrete info on yet....

OK here I go...

1. Saiga 10 rd rifles are no longer import but I have read rumors that they will be again soon True or false and, if true, where should I look for them?

2. Saiga .223 30 round factory mags were in the works before they stopped being imported. Is this true and if so where can you get factory 30 rounders? I have read copious threads about modifiying this mag or that and if needed I would do so, but my first goal would be no modification if possible with factory 30 rd magazines.

3. Saiga rifles came with standard rifle stock, not pistol grip. Is it a violation of Fed silly laws to remove standard stock and replace with pistol grip and possibily a flash hider?

4. If they are not going to be imported anytime soon, I still am interested in obtaining one. Where should I look for used Saiga .223? Searched GunBroker and GunsAmerica and ARFCOM Equipment Exchange with VERY limited results....these things are like Toyota Camrys....owners hold onto them. (another hint they are a good firearm...not very many in circulation!).

5. Finally, is the Saiga .223 chambered for 5.56mm? Safe to fire hotter (relatively speaking...) 5.56 in standard Saiga .223?

Thanks very much for any info you can or might provide.

Cheers!

One thing I do need answered is the rating for the Saiga 223. Is it safe to shoot 5.56 thru the 223?

Now waiting on a 223 Saiga (sigh......)....got my feelers out....hopefully only time now...

As much as i would like to tell you that 5.56 ammo would be fine....i won't... simply because my saiga .223 says .223 on the gun and the factory mag. I take that to mean that is was designed for the .223 alone.....but it does beg the question of rechamber for the 5.56x45....wonder how much that would run?

My take on it is since its a military spec chambering and designed to withstand quite a bit of over pressure, it will hold up to 5.56 nato even if chambered for 233 sammi.

I have never heard this being an issue outside of bolt actions myself, but your mileage may vary. FWIW I am getting close to 2000 rounds through mine of XM193 and Q1313 win, as well as some Radway and Guatamalan surplus stuff that seemed hot and it hasn't blown up yet. Not counting Wolf, Barnaul and silver bear.

If you go to the Izhmash web site, http://www.izhmash.ru/eng/product/saiga.shtml , and scroll down it lists the specs for the Saiga series. The 223 is listed as ".223/5.56x45". I have have fired quite a bit of 5.56 through mine and have never had a problem (actually seems to "run" better with it).

The Saiga 223 is really easy to convert to a legal P grip and it is very acurate. I carried an M4 for a couple of years and would have to say that a converted Saiga is definantly on par with any AR variant.

You mentioned that you have a lot of ARs. I had quite a few AR mags and wasn't real happy with the mag situation so I found a way to convert the Saiga 223 to take AR mags. It requires heavy modification to the rifle but it is always an option.

Thanks for all the info, guys.

Now to just find a Saiga 223! Found a place in Utah who has some Tromix-modified Saiga 223s coming in that'll run around $680.....kinda takes the value out of it for me.....can buy/build an AR for $600 or less.....

Anyway, looking forward to RAA next shipment in April of the next batch of Saiga 223s.

Cheers!