Which one should I get?

Ruger GP100 357/38 3"

Ruger GP100 357/38 3" Wiley Clapp

Ruger GP100 357/38 3" Match Champion

Primarily carry in the woods with two rounds of snake shot, occasional regular carry and fun plinking at the range.

Or maybe be a bit frugal and look at the SP101s with a 4.2" barrel?

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 1

The cheap one. It won't matter much. It's a Ruger. It's built like a tank. Strong as hell, and accurate.

Yeah, the others are nice, but are they really THAT much nicer? Or more useful?

I doubt it.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I like that Wiley Clapp model. I worked on one of these (GP100) last week and it is a really interesting design internally. No screws for people to butcher, all drops out from the bottom in one unit. Very well thought out. I do like it. I never saw the appeal to it before, but now I get it.

• Like 1

I like that Wiley Clapp model. I worked on one of these (GP100) last week and it is a really interesting design internally. No screws for people to butcher, all drops out from the bottom in one unit. Very well thought out. I do like it. I never saw the appeal to it before, but now I get it.

Yeah, I saw one taken down and really liked how the trigger comes out as a unit.

Heck the whole thing stripped into it's basic components is only approx 8-9 pieces IIRC.

Go for the 4" bbl.  Snake shot in anything other than a 12 gage is kinda a waste of time.  We have found that you must get so close to the big rattle snake to shoot it that the snake is also close enough to strike you.  Personal experience.  Not enough shot.  Too few pellets.  No pattern density.

Outside about 5 feet the pistol round bird shot is only going to piss something off.  Again not enough shot.  Too small of shot.  The pattern density is way too small and feeble to do any good.  With a 4" bbl you will also have some better longer ranger revolver accuracy?  Just another thought.

Have you considered the classic 4" bbl SW 629 .44 Mag Mountain Gun?  Also if you do not want to spend any money an earlier Bridgeport Charter Arms .44 SP.  Bulldog Revolver?  19 oz empty. 26 oz loaded with Silvertips.  3" bbl.  The last one I bought cost $150 bucks with ammo.  A bucker.

• Like 1

Go for the 4" bbl.  Snake shot in anything other than a 12 gage is kinda a waste of time.  We have found that you must get so close to the big rattle snake to shoot it that the snake is also close enough to strike you.  Personal experience.  Not enough shot.  Too few pellets.  No pattern density.

Outside about 5 feet the pistol round bird shot is only going to piss something off.  Again not enough shot.  Too small of shot.  The pattern density is way too small and feeble to do any good.  With a 4" bbl you will also have some better longer ranger revolver accuracy?  Just another thought.

Have you considered the classic 4" bbl SW 629 .44 Mag Mountain Gun?  Also if you do not want to spend any money an earlier Bridgeport Charter Arms .44 SP.  Bulldog Revolver?  19 oz empty. 26 oz loaded with Silvertips.  3" bbl.  The last one I bought cost $150 bucks with ammo.  A bucker.

I don't know about that, we've put many a cottonmouth down with 9mm and/or .38spc snake shot.

I'm looking at a bunch in the 3-6" range, 3-4" is about where I'm settled.

Not looking for anything bigger than the .357mag, been looking at Ruger, S&W, Colt and Taurus, I do believe Ruger will win this one.

The new GP100 .357 with a 7 round cylinder.

Not on the list but in a contenders position.

The cheap one. It won't matter much. It's a Ruger. It's built like a tank. Strong as hell, and accurate.

Yeah, the others are nice, but are they really THAT much nicer? Or more useful?

I doubt it.

Minor difference in barrels, sights, grips, weight and appearance.

Sometimes it's just nice to upgrade a bit.

Well, I think I'll spend a good part of my day touring local gun shops and fingering revolvers.

I've a $1000.00 budget, but would like to keep it under $7-800.00 so as to buy a holster and what not.

• Like 3

Well, I think I'll spend a good part of my day touring local gun shops and fingering revolvers.

I've a $1000.00 budget, but would like to keep it under $7-800.00 so as to buy a holster and what not.

Don't forget to smell your fingers every once in awhile....just to check. :D

Sounds like a fun day. Hit a good restaurant while you're out.

• Like 2

And women's say men do not like to shop

Go chilie go , have a great time

• Like 2

I  was looking at  getting a Kimber in . 357 for snake caps and 'other varmint'.  Then I realized that this would not be a carry piece, just a mowing, hiking, truck console, night stand gun. So I bought a Taurus polly Public Defender.  .410 has a LOT more shot, and .45 is BIGGER than .357 for 'other varmint'. The new 4 - 000 buck rounds are my night stand go-to.

• Like 1

I've been running around today.
I hit five different gun shops, fingering every Ruger GP100 and S&W 686 in 357/38 that I could find, I wanted a 3"-4" barrel and 7rd cylinder.
Found a few too, really liked a S&W 686 Plus, Combat Magnum, it felt great.

But a rifle I saw at one store kept nagging at the back of my mind.
Colt AR15A2 (R6550) Government Model, 20" Rifle, .223 1/7 twist
One of only 8000 made back in the Pre-Ban days from '88-'90.
Serial number begins with GS007***
It is 99%, danged near immaculate, I wouldn't hesitate to say the only rounds fired through it were Colt's test rounds.

It ended up coming home with me at the end of the day...  LOL, so much for the wheelgun.

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

You chose well Obie One .... Er wait.  I mean retro Colt made A2 20" rifles are always a win win situation.  Consider the $appreciation value$ of that platform also.  Definitely Collectible.

If I decide to build that last AR15 rifle, (yeah ... sure HB) it would be a retro A2 AR15 Rifle with the 20" bbl.  Left Handed version.  I need to get going fur sure on this one way or the other.

Lets see ... 1)  5.56x45.  2) .224 Valk.  3)  6.5 Gren.  4) .375 Socum! ... (hee hee hee).  So many complete tops.  So much fun.  So much money but who cares at this point.  Oh boy!  :)

hundreds of AR15 builds.

• Like 1

Nice lookin' civvie A2, Chilie. 

Thanks, appreciate it Patriot.

Amazing how often we find something different than what we were looking for!

Ain't that the truth... This one called to me all day long as I hit other shops.

I went home researched it for about 10 minutes, called the shop to aske for a few details and then excitedly went and bought it.

The wheelgun will have to wait.

Nice Rifle!

I wish I still owned an SP1 but when they were bringing $2500.00.....I sold the two I hadsuper_man.gif

Five grand buys a lot of AR15 these days

BH

Thanks.

Yep weird times, cheap ARs and expensive AKs.

This one wasn't cheap, but I feel I got a good deal for what it is and it's Safe Queen condition

Edited by ChileRelleno

Nice Rifle!

I wish I still owned an SP1 but when they were bringing $2500.00.....I sold the two I hadsuper_man.gif

Five grand buys a lot of AR15 these days

BH

Nice move, and agreed.

Per the original question, I would tend towards the Wiley Clapp in 4". Ruger seems to be really good at making combos that aren't quite what I would want for the special guns. The match champeon always appealed in every aspect, but the flats, and the hideous banner on the barrel. Clapp has nice grips and a good front sight, and the barrel doesn't offend the eye, but I like adjustable rear sights.... So, I guess the new 7 shot version in 4" or 6"? They show it with the nice grips, the right sights and everything.

Edited by GunFun