I've a few different Gerber multi tools, some had age related problems as none are less than 10 years old and well used.
For one I needed parts for an easy self-repair and a replacement sheath, the other I need a broken file replaced.
I filled out warranty requests on them without any paperwork/receipts and waited.
They got back to me and stated that parts would ship for the one, and the other I could send in, but that they'd likely replace it with something new.
I've opted out of replacing the second so far as I really like it and the file is not commonly used by me.

So I wait and a few weeks later I got the parts for the first, no sheath, no big deal.
Didn't think much of it and forgot about, three weeks later a brand new sheath pops into my mail box.
Nothing quick, no replies but a couple of emails, but ya know what?  I wasn't expecting a danged thing in the first place.

Slid the tool into the new pouch and gave it to my 12yr'ol son.
I hope he gets another 10+ years out of it.

Thanks Gerber!
Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 4

It's nice to see a company that still stands up in today's "fuck the other guy as long as i get my money" world.

Dillon Precision and Ruger are good like that too.

(With all your cooking posts, I thought this would be about baby food)

Gerber-Baby-580x500.png

not...

Gerber-Logo.jpg

Edited by patriot
  • Like 2

Our kids never got much so-called baby food, at least not the jarred crap.

They breast fed until about 2-2.5, or until they were biting too hard and then pretty much bellied up to the table.

Did ya know that a big homemade, spicy Mexican feast can throw Momma's milk off to a point that the kids won't eat it?

Funny shit indeed, not so funny for Momma with screaming kids and full titties.

BTDT

Edited by ChileRelleno
  • Like 3

I had an early Gerber, the GOOD one with actual bearings in the hinge. Wore it out, and went to use the "lifetime replacement guarantee". They wanted to replace it with a cheaper model with NO BEARING. I said fuck it. Still have that old Gerber in a JUNK DRAWER somewhere. Use the sheath for my crappy ass Leatherman.

• Like 1

Did ya know that a big homemade, spicy Mexican feast can throw Momma's milk off to a point that the kids won't eat it?

BTDT

Why can't Daddy fill in keeping those titties drained just as long as he doesn't nip either. :unsure:

I don't know, a nice spicy titty sounds kinda appealing to me.  Rather have spicy lactate, than biting down on a stainless stud. :eek::wacko:

• Like 1

Our kids never got much so-called baby food, at least not the jarred crap.

They breast fed until about 2-2.5, or until they were biting too hard and then pretty much bellied up to the table.

BTDT

You think that is the case in Mexico?

It is strange that I have been given 3 and never have used one. I am sure many can say the same thing..

My daughter gave me one of the cheaper Gerber knives a few years back as a stocking stuffer type thing. I have managed to not lose it and it hasn't fell apart yet. I'm really happy with it. It is nothing special, but it is my favorite knife.

• Like 1

You think that is the case in Mexico?

It is strange that I have been given 3 and never have used one. I am sure many can say the same thing..

Nope, but I'm pretty sure that if they changed their diet up all the sudden and severe, there'd be cranky babes there too

Never used a multi-tool, no, I don't find that it'd be overly strange, even when having three.

For a few reasons, you have to wear it, and participate in work/activities that'd it's use'd be common in and/or advantageous  too.

I almost bought a Gerber knife the other day. The ghostrike, I really like it. Want crazy about the steel, 420HC I mean come on. But I saw it at the local box sports store. Hung under a 25 dollar price tag. I figured for that price I'd try it out. Got to the register and it was 59 bucks. For so,so steel I said no thanks. Several years ago I had a us made Gerber knife. It was a good piece of steel. Lost it though.

Kershaw is another company that will really take care if there customer. I have basically the same story with Kershaw.

SOG on the other hand, I have a pentagon elite the clip broke I've messaged them 4 times trying to buy a new clip I get nothing. One email to Kershaw and literally 3 days later I had an entire rebuild kit for my knife.

• Like 1

I had a gut hook hunting blade from gerber, after first deer butcher the blade started splintering, a call to gerber and i sent it in and they sent back a replacement. Felt the service was good, and replacement wasnt painful. Wish i knew why the blade splintered/flakex.

Edited by montec

I had a gut hook hunting blade from gerber, after first deer butcher the blade started splintering, a call to gerber and i sent it in and they sent back a replacement. Felt the service was good, and replacement wasnt painful. Wish i knew why the blade splintered/flakex.

Because its cheap Chinese steel. Really cheap. Cause 8cr13mov is actually decent steel.

I'm a huge fan of leatherman, though I think the majority of their current models are hintzy and hokey. 

I specifically like the original model and the super tool series. Second gen super tool was about right, with not a lot of faff. (SuperTool 200) Crunch is a good model too. As compact and dense as it can be without adding bulk. No gimmick tools, everything on there big enough to really do the intended job, and of hard and tough enough metal for the task. The phillips and the file really stand out. Having a needle nose plier that is a good needle nose, not a sloppy blunt thing with teeth that don't bite is key.

I've had several super tools.I had so many friends with the gerber tools which were defective in a way that they would not fully close on the pliers, or would pinch your hands with the handles. The flip out feature is not worth having crappy pliers and tiny checkbox tools. Yes it has a phillips, technically. But it isn't the same as the real phillips on the super tool that locks in place. A couple freinds in high school were very proud of theirs and warrantied them several times. I like a few gerber products, but not their multi tools.

The metal quality is a big part of it too. On my first super tool, the file was the best file in our whole tool collection, in that it would bite on metals that our nichols and similar files would skate on.

One of them was horribly abused by a friend who basically used the medium small screw driver and the saw as a pry bar snapping them off. This was my first one. My mother worked a block or two from the leatherman and gerber plants in north Portland at the time, so I asked her to drop it off for warranty while I was visiting. She brought it back that day. They didn't just replace the broken tools, they replaced all the blades, and buffed out where I scratched my initials on the hub of the pliers. (It was crude, and I was young. I am sure they thought of them as scratches) I had also scratched my initials inside the handles with a scribe, which they missed. That's how I know they didn't just give me a new one from the bin. No questions asked, despite blatant abuse.

Fun fact: For the first few years, Gerber made the knife blades and scissors for leatherman. Some of the early ones even say gerber on the blade.

My other favorite brand is the SOG powerpliers with the geared handles that give leverage. As with the leatherman, the pliers themselves are very good, and most of the blades and tools are not stumpy. They kinda split the difference.