A new addition to the family

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Its a Kel-Tec

Fluff and buff it and do the mag insides  also.

I have shot them but felt  like a kiddy gun. they just need some pre shoot care and you will never have problems with it again.

I remember the keyholing they had with the first ones but they fixed the barrels.

go to their web blog lots of help there

have fun

• 3 weeks later...

i.e. trim off any sharp plastic flashing. Pop apart the mag, and deburr the edge of feedlips, and the follower. Do the same to the rails the slide runs on, and perhaps the grooves on the slide. Make everything smooth. Run the action slowly and feel for any gritty areas or spring stacking.  

IMO just about every gun is better if you take the 15 minutes when new to do this. Or go a step further and clean up the fire control surfaces too, but not everyone can do that safely within their skillset. Trued up & smoothed up > worn in.

Also, some pistols need a bit of attention to the feed ramp if there are rough machine marks. I wouldn't say that many guns after the mid 90s need the angle addressed, so I would just stick to wrapping a drill shank with sand paper and smoothing the ramp out at exactly the same angle.

All that stuff adds up to drag in the system.

Inspecting brass is also telling. Some guns have a little burr on the extractor, or a really rough bolt face that can make chambering dodgy.

• 3 weeks later...

So I did what was suggested and checked out the piece for burrs and flashing. I found the former on the feedramp(pictured), but quickly noticed something off on the front portion of the ramp block. It appears that the polymer around the slide stop spring is damaged(right side of the picture). A dental pick revealed that the material there is pliable. I'm concerned that this piece is compromised, which is a disappointment due to the low number of rounds put through it(Approximately 150 rounds, split between CCI Maxi-Mags and Speer Gold Dots.

An email to Kel Tec brought only a confused response to the picture, but they offered to check it out if I sent it in.

What do you fellas think?

IMG_3014.PNG

It'll be interesting to see a before and after picture when you get it back. I'm not a KelTek fan. Owning a Sub2000 assured me of that, but I will say their CS is thorough, albeit slow. 

• 2 months later...

Okay, so the material in question is just flashing and should not be in any way harmful to the operation of the firearm, according to Kel Tec.

However, they did replace the slide and the magazine I had sent in with the PMR. The magazines had been upgraded, but I was unable to get an answer as to why the slide had been replaced.

The front sight had been affixed off to the right, but I readjusted that. Other than that, I have had only a couple of issues: one with a misfeed that saw the head of a hollow point catch on the bottom of the feed ramp, and an outright failure to feed from the magazine. I'm unable to say if these came on the old/bad(?) magazine, since my oldest daughter wanted to go shooting with me, so I was distracted by Dad Pride to keep 100% track of things, so I'll have to go again with this in mind. The horror, right?

All ammo shot reliably, save for one round that misfired. The Gold Dots seemed to have the most potent discharge, which was odd to me, as I was also firing 50gr. Game Shoks. I was expecting somewhat of a bigger feel from the hunting loads as opposed to the lighter defensive round. Not sure why.

But yeah. I'm not sure why they simply didn't tell me about the flashing at the onset, but I guess I made the right call in sending it in as I got some new--and free!--parts.