Sign in to follow this  
Photoguy

A new addition to the family

Much to the chagrin of the missus("So, you bought TWO new guns in three months?"), I went and adopted this little lady.

post-13762-0-79066300-1520814459_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Should be fun. 22 Win Mag handguns are a hoot! Easy to shoot, and LOUD.

My Automag II is a blast!

Let us know how it works....

Edited by patriot

I will, though it may take a week.

My town needs a public range that's not a club.

• Like 1

BOOM!

Gun felt good; had some misfeeds, but I chalk that up to inappropriate loading of the magazines for the first time. They're picky.

post-13762-0-79502200-1522547741_thumb.png

Its a Kel-Tec

Fluff and buff it and do the mag insides  also.

I have shot them but felt  like a kiddy gun. they just need some pre shoot care and you will never have problems with it again.

I remember the keyholing they had with the first ones but they fixed the barrels.

go to their web blog lots of help there

have fun

i.e. trim off any sharp plastic flashing. Pop apart the mag, and deburr the edge of feedlips, and the follower. Do the same to the rails the slide runs on, and perhaps the grooves on the slide. Make everything smooth. Run the action slowly and feel for any gritty areas or spring stacking.  

IMO just about every gun is better if you take the 15 minutes when new to do this. Or go a step further and clean up the fire control surfaces too, but not everyone can do that safely within their skillset. Trued up & smoothed up > worn in.

Also, some pistols need a bit of attention to the feed ramp if there are rough machine marks. I wouldn't say that many guns after the mid 90s need the angle addressed, so I would just stick to wrapping a drill shank with sand paper and smoothing the ramp out at exactly the same angle.

All that stuff adds up to drag in the system.

Inspecting brass is also telling. Some guns have a little burr on the extractor, or a really rough bolt face that can make chambering dodgy.

So I did what was suggested and checked out the piece for burrs and flashing. I found the former on the feedramp(pictured), but quickly noticed something off on the front portion of the ramp block. It appears that the polymer around the slide stop spring is damaged(right side of the picture). A dental pick revealed that the material there is pliable. I'm concerned that this piece is compromised, which is a disappointment due to the low number of rounds put through it(Approximately 150 rounds, split between CCI Maxi-Mags and Speer Gold Dots.

An email to Kel Tec brought only a confused response to the picture, but they offered to check it out if I sent it in.

What do you fellas think?

IMG_3014.PNG

It'll be interesting to see a before and after picture when you get it back. I'm not a KelTek fan. Owning a Sub2000 assured me of that, but I will say their CS is thorough, albeit slow.