Kalashnikov USA KS-12 Magazine Initial Review

Received my 10 round magazine from gunbroker today. Here are some pictures.

post-5316-0-40314500-1521829138.jpg

post-5316-0-27659300-1521829160.jpg

post-5316-0-69244500-1521829173.jpg

post-5316-0-46216600-1521829191.jpg

post-5316-0-06250300-1521829200.jpg

A quick fit and function test seemed ok. No side to side wobble. A little up down movement in the rear.

However, I was extremely disappointed when I took a magnet to the front lug and absolutely no cling. I was really hoping for a lite, durable factory 10 rounder. But with no metal lug and $50 a piece, I will stick with factory Russian mags and Csspecs.

I was hoping for good things from Kalashnikov USA. So far I have called them and emailed them several times regarding parts and have been completely ignored. Now I discovered the mag quality is closer to average. So much for glasnost.

Unless they put aluminum in there for reinforcement, but I doubt it.  I'm sure the extra step of setting a piece of metal in the form before they mold it is expensive, but it is necessary, so they are foolish.  Considering the leverage that a 10 round mag has, coupled with the weight when fully loaded, coupled with the recoil, that plastic lug will eventually snap right off.

And compare that to both the 5 and 8 round Russian mags, that both have the metal

I have abused a lot of SGM 10 and 12 rounders with no reinforcement. Never had a lug break off. Would I consider them serious-use mags? No. Would I rather have some steel in there? Yes, but the lack of steel in the mag does not mean it will break off under recoil. However, it may break off under other conditions like dropping the weapon on the mag just right, etc.