Picked up 2 Century underfolding N-PAP's for $699 each at Fleet Farm.  The actions are a little rough and need polishing/shooting.  But they're good for body slinging while shoveling dirt into a sluice.  And if a bear wants to not take NO for an answer, we got 30 good reasons of 8M3 to do so!

They did come with PMAG's!

• Like 1

It makes a kind of sense. They will probably come back orange with rust though. Fill those suckers up with corrosion block and do so often. keep an eye on the magazine springs too.

At first I was thinking the PAP pistol with no brace, and IMO those are very awkward to shoot. Until you stick a brace or a stamp on them, they are just a toy.

I wasn't going to take my pre-ban Norinco Type 56S up there, especially when I just saw one go at $2600.

I'm figuring daily cleanings of CLP and grease.  We're going to be up there for 30 days in the bush, so I don't think they'll get that bad.

Any problems with grinding the spring lock down?  That makes dis/assembly more difficult than needed!

For that kind of money you could have got a S &W 500.

Trust me just the sound of it will make a bear crap.

With a chest holster and a  drop leash you will find it also more convenient .

But there is a lot of good protective oil out there ,I am a frog lube guy.  Some how I think you will figure it out.

Two ? I guess one is day and one is for night.

Good luck and have fun . Never seen a bear in Alaska,moose,caribou,huge bald eagles an salmon but never a bear.

• Like 1

One for me, and one for my nephew.

Where we're going the bears like traveling the treeline like a highway to new areas.  Plus they'll be congregating for the salmon run.  And we have to camp on our food instead of hanging it cause there's no trees to hang it from.  We will have an electric fence around the camp.

Just got done cleaning and polishing them till the action slides as smooth as a baby's behind.  Now for some range time.

• Like 3

An S12 with some Monolit slugs would be helluva bear stopper.

What do you keep in your SBS in the woods, Netpackrat?

Mainly just the plain Remington 3" green box foster slugs.  Been meaning to replace those with Brennekes once I am willing to spend the money to buy enough for function testing.  They are not cheap.  But 9 regular slugs in a 14" sbs is still nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1

Go watch brobee 223's videos on those slugs. They are very much made for east coast deer. Not bear. Even if you ain't got the scratch for testing, you know that just about any solid slug is better than a soft and thin foster for bears. Pretty much the whole breneke product line will do better. Or dixie slugs, or the Hexolit slugs. Federal had one or two that would be fine.

Yeah, I know the Brennekes are better in every way...  $$$ isn't the issue so much as I just haven't gotten around to doing it.  But 8+1 of the Remington slugs is nothing to laugh at, either.  Usually I carry the guide gun anyway...  The main advantage of the S12 is if for some reason I get in a fight against humans...  It's not as good as the AK rifle would be, but it should suffice to at least break contact and GTFO.  It's basically a compromise between my stopping rifle and a fighting rifle.

Yeah, I know the Brennekes are better in every way...  $$$ isn't the issue so much as I just haven't gotten around to doing it.  But 8+1 of the Remington slugs is nothing to laugh at, either.  Usually I carry the guide gun anyway...  The main advantage of the S12 is if for some reason I get in a fight against humans...  It's not as good as the AK rifle would be, but it should suffice to at least break contact and GTFO.  It's basically a compromise between my stopping rifle and a fighting rifle.

stopping rifle? and fighting rifle?

I am not understanding this. I always though my fighting rifle was supposed to stop people . did you mean hunting rifle vs your AK?

stopping rifle? and fighting rifle?

I am not understanding this. I always though my fighting rifle was supposed to stop people . did you mean hunting rifle vs your AK?

My guide gun's sole purpose in life is to stop bears from chewing on me and mine.  As I do not hunt bears, it therefore is not a hunting rifle.  Were I to intentionally hunt bear, I would buy something longer ranged and accept the weight penalty compared to my relatively light Marlin.  I think a .50BMG would do the job nicely.

• Like 1

I don't consider a AKM as a bad choice.  Poachers in Africa use them regularly on elephants and rhinos.  Now a AK-74, that would be a little weaker than I'd like.

A cinder block wall is protective cover to 5.56mm, but isn't to 7.62x39.

There was a guy here a few years ago who was charged by a bear while carrying a 5.45 AK...   He killed the bear with around a dozen shots, but that's not the same as stopping it.  It broke off its attack and traveled about another 100 yards before it expired.  It had lots of time left in which to kill the guy had it been so inclined.

• Like 2

Just taking out a brown bear's heart will kill it, but there are hundreds of documented incidents when that happened and the bear rampaged around for up to about 14 minutes. 

They have a separate metabolic process which gives them emergency energy which does not require fresh blood for oxygen for their muscles to work. kinda like when you run out of blood sugar and your cells eat themselves a little to scavenge ATP, then you have a crash later and sore muscles from the lactic acid byproduct. I know people in alaska who've killed grizzlies with .22 short pistols with a shot to the spine, but I would want a gun with power to reliably penetrate the skull, and ability to get as many make up shots quickly as possible.

Correction. I should say, I know a person who has killed one with a .22 short pistol. More who have used .22lr rifles. None of them talk about that like it was a situation they would repeat with confidence. the .22 short guy did it as a kid, at a pile of fish guts where bears were eating. Adults didn't believe him until they found the corpse - as chewed up by the other bears.

• Like 1

The attribute of an anti-bear gun that is maybe as important as the projectile it launches and how many of them, is that it be sufficiently convenient to carry that you will have it on you when you need it.  This is where my guide gun beats nearly every other long gun, plus it throws a 350-400+ grain projectile at a respectable clip, with 4 relatively fast follow up shots in the magazine.  It weighs all of about 7 pounds so one has less excuse for setting it down.  I bought a back scabbard for it so I can carry it around camp while keeping my hands free for other tasks.  That's a little slower to deploy but still infinitely better than leaning up against the cabin when a bear walks into the yard.

Gunfun's post above is spot-on...  Killing a bear and stopping it from killing or maiming you are often not the same thing.  You need something that will reliably break bones and take out a bear's nervous system.  A .50 BMG is not too much gun where brown bears are concerned, it's just too much gun to carry around just in case.

marlite2.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Trench 12.  Ceespec 10 rd steel box mags.  And yes ... those solid steel non expanding max load slugs.  I suppose the combination would also work on Polseen.  They have two circulation systems.  They say both the big bears and Polseen are good to eat...which seems logical since they both enjoy eating us.  :)  :)

The time I was served bear, I liked it. At the time, my family didn't eat meat, and I was at a birthday party so I thought it was pretty amazing.

DDupleks hexolit 32 would be my shotgun round of choice for bear. Or failing that some of the Brenneke or dixie shotgun slugs.

• 3 weeks later...

They do carry very well when bodyslung behind you, and stay out of the way when digging, that keeps it on you and not sitting on the river bank.  Deployment time is about 1.5 seconds max from slung position to trigger pull.  7.62x39 has equivalent energy to a .44 magnum (1600 ft/lbs), and will be more controllable than a pistol.  Plus the AK is damn near totally reliable even in the worst conditions.  Since we're above the treeline, we should be able to spot them a ways off, and be on guard well before anything becomes critical.  For the most part, we'll be together most of the time, so if an attack would happen, there'd be two weapons on the bear.