That man was a masterful ass-chewer. I loved him as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

Check out some of the pussy comments on Youtube...Those snowflakes have no idea what the military was like.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 3

That man was a masterful ass-chewer. I loved him as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

Check out some of the pussy comments on Youtube...Those snowflakes have no idea what the military was like.

That is fucking classic! Thanks for posting, Patriot.

OORAH!!!

Semper Fi, Gunny. Rest in peace.

• Like 3

I wish his legacy of training via abuse was gone too.

It is insane to me, how people recognize his acting as familiar from their experience and decide that it must be good. The whole point of his movie was how terrible and stupid it was to treat people that way, and how it didn't work very well either. People now think it was cool. Now ~every person in a training job aspires to be like him.

He is a cartoon character of the worst things we do in the military, and now they treat him as a role model. 

Just because we used to have a practice of doing something a certain way in the military does not mean it is the best way, but now this is a sacred cow that can't be unpacked. We aren't really willing to try something different. Instead we do a neutered version of that guy, which doesn't work very well either. IMO it's tragic, and abusive, and worse, it robs people of the opportunity to learn leadership by service vs taking the crap of of some bastard now, until you get the turn to crap on some other guy. What a shame.

Also a former pimp.

I hope his afterlife is better than I suspect it is.

I wish his legacy of training via abuse was gone too.

It is insane to me, how people recognize his acting as familiar from their experience and decide that it must be good. The whole point of his movie was how terrible and stupid it was to treat people that way, and how it didn't work very well either. People now think it was cool. Now ~every person in a training job aspires to be like him.

He is a cartoon character of the worst things we do in the military, and now they treat him as a role model. 

Just because we used to have a practice of doing something a certain way in the military does not mean it is the best way, but now this is a sacred cow that can't be unpacked. We aren't really willing to try something different. Instead we do a neutered version of that guy, which doesn't work very well either. IMO it's tragic, and abusive, and worse, it robs people of the opportunity to learn leadership by service vs taking the crap of of some bastard now, until you get the turn to crap on some other guy. What a shame.

Also a former pimp.

I hope his afterlife is better than I suspect it is.

Is about preparing a man to kill.

That is the marines purpose, to kill.

• Like 3

Going to DI School at PI was probably one of the hardest things I have ever done.  When my wife walked past me at the airport after graduation and didn't recognize me...well, that says a lot.  I lost so much weight....and back then, I didn't have that much weight to loose.  You wouldn't believe the things we use to see when we picked up 'America's Finest'.  OMG....disheartening to say the least.  And it was my duty to turn them into Marines.  Certainly not a easy task, and for many, it was an impossible task.  It was my job to thin the weak from the strong, and I was very effective at it.  You might not agree with the way it is conducted, but I don't think the Marines really care that you do.  It was tough enough in the 80's, I can't even begin to imagine how tough it is now....we are a 3M society...Meek, Mild and Mellow.  God help them from loosing their tempers....for real.  I only lost my temper twice....the rest was an act.  But the act was sincere in its meaning and cause.  If I was nice to them....then I was killing them....indirectly, and those around them as well. 

God Speed Gunny and THANK YOU for all that you did.  Not many realize or appreciate what you went thru.  Semper Fi brother and guard those gates well!

• Like 3

It is about the mind of a young man and what is expected of him. Stripping the child identity of that person completely away with acid so that it will never come back. It takes a special person to do this and anyone who emerges from their care knows more about himself as a man and what he is capable than he ever dreamed.

I was not a big fan of him but the Glock  commercials were funny. Just not into guys cashing in on what they did in the service,do not know why, just do not think it is right.

Maybe it is not respecting the ones who came back in a bag or with bandages.

I can understand Gun funs view, I wish there was no reason to have a military or that the world was this special place where we solved all our problem with a checker game.

It is not.

To have the best military you must have men who will obey. To obey they must not let their personal philosophy interfere with doing their duty. The DI's job is to build this essential  foundation physically and mentally. A lot of Marines never liked their DI , So what.

• Like 1

I'm ex-Army, and boot was much the way it was portrayed in FMJ. Sure, we got yelled at. BIG DEAL. Coddle a trainee and he dies. If you can't take the stress of boot camp, you sure as hell won't be able to handle the stress of combat, and you might just get the rest of your team killed. Sure it was tough. It's supposed to be tough. Did some wash out? Yep! The rest of us became warriors. Training is hard. It has to be hard so we don't bleed in combat. It changed us...for the better...for life.

Thank you, Gunny, for making......... Marines.

Edited by patriot
  • Like 4