Bought a Mossberg 590 Shockwave as a snake gun for the tractor. As cool as these little firearms are, with 5 in the tube and one in the chamber the shockwave grip is just not practical shooting "one handed" unless you have Popeye forearms. If there was ever a firearm that was tailor made for a brace (or SBS), this is it.

Modified it quite a bit to my liking. Mesa Tactical high tube adaptor and shell carrier is nice. The rest came out of the parts bin. Although the firearm has grown from 26.5" to 31" OAL, the balance with the brace makes one handed shooting much easier. May add an adjustable brace in the future, but for now I am happy. Still have a little color matching to do on the brace.

Before:

post-37530-0-57942500-1524782291_thumb.jpg

After:

post-37530-0-48142800-1524782396_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-88245400-1524782418_thumb.jpg

post-37530-0-77127700-1524782439_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 3

Not bad. I'll bet it's a lot more comfortable that way. pg shottys can be really hard on the wrist.

I know.....

Indeed Patriot. Before, 3 dram 1200 FPS was all I really wanted to shoot out of it. Fine for snakes, but now 00 buck is no problem. Much better ergonomically. Basically multi purposed for home (barn) defense as well :)

I shoot a pg double 12 w/18.5" barrels, and if you're not careful it'll bite you HARD. I've driven the latching lever through the web of my had twice now because I wasn't careful.

It's loads of fun, but you can't get too comfortable with it or you'll bleed.

Shooting illustrated sept 2017 issue with the shockwave on the cover, page 57 says:

Also of note is that the shockwaves legal definition, and subsequently its legal status, would definitely change is the end user altered the gun by adding a buttock or making other modifications. Mossberg warns its customers of this in a letter included with each gun. In short, don’t mess with the damn thing

• Like 1

Shooting illustrated sept 2017 issue with the shockwave on the cover, page 57 says:

Also of note is that the shockwaves legal definition, and subsequently its legal status, would definitely change is the end user altered the gun by adding a buttock or making other modifications. Mossberg warns its customers of this in a letter included with each gun. In short, don’t mess with the damn thing

I was wondering the same thing.. I was pretty sure that was not legal to mod like that.. 

are you 100% sure that it is in fact illegal?

The 590 shockwave is not defined as a shotgun by the BATFE. It has never had a buttstock attached. That is how they get away with a barrel length under 18". As long as the OAL is greater than 26" it is legal to the letter of the law. It still does not nor ever has had a buttstock attatched and is over 31" long. Until the BATFE issues an opinion on the matter specific to the Shockwave, it meets all of the definitions by my understanding of the NFA as the factory 590 shockwave does. I can assure you I would never knowingly violate the NFA and have NFA items with the proper paperwork. I can also assure you that I will not be writing the BATFE for their opinion like people did ad-nauseam with "shouldering a pistol brace" thus giving them an opportunity through opinion to rewrite the NFA.

If others have a different opinion, I would like to hear. As I said, I certainly would not knowingly break the law.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Remington seems to think a braced "fire arm" is legal. Matter of fact they offer their tac-14 with brace right off the shelf!

https://www.remington.com/other-products/model-870-tac-14-arm-brace

As far as modifying the actual brace..like adding a rubber pad to the end of a blade, or epoxying a rubber sb tactical to make more stiff..they will most likely find that to be illegal and extort you for tax money or prison time.

Op- shockwave looks great!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep just a forearm (hahahah fat fingers but sounds like redneck for “firearm”).

Good looking setup!! Now all I need is the DM model to come out, and they make it semi auto so I can shave that 5” down to 26 by gettin that barrel even shorter out front...