"new" tristar bullpup 12ga with kalashnikov guts

its making the blog rounds, seems interesting, if street price were low enough you could take the guts out and build real gun with it, then sell the bullpup stock and be into it for cheap!?  sounds legit!?

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2018/04/daniel-zimmerman/new-tristar-compact-bullpup-12-gauge-shotgun/

this is made by "kral"  lotta folks hate on the turks, me, i hate on their vibro etched SNs and their kinda shoddy/sloppy fit and finish, mainly finish and engineering/overall design look....

tristar-745x513.jpg

Edited by saltydecimator

+1 Cloning a stupid detail that is so stupid they don't understand it, but still copy it. Imagine the depth of their confusion. On the other hand, imagine the depth of their ignorance if they simply copied that detail and didn't give a second thought to whether or not it made sense for their application.

I am happy as long as the very basic parts are good enough to work with and will be durable. At the end of the day, I am thrilled with a donor that will make a good SBS that is worth throwing some time at.

Whats this? Yet another shotgun that looks to take S-12/V-12 mags?? Wtf! Hold on I thought that market was "dead" and we should all just throw in the towel on kalasnikov based shotguns? $$mags$$bolts$$carriers$$extractors. Anybody like money?

"Compatibility with popular Saiga-type 12ga magazines means a variety of sources and capacities are readily available."

Uh oh guess they didnt get the memo that the S-12/V-12 and clone market is "dead", they better just scrap the whole project and cut their losses.

Edited by Veprz
  • Like 1

oh its dead buddy, prices soared, obama left office without all out ban, folks tired of paying scare prices,  and then lotsa folks get burned by junk.... sure its not the gun co fault people fudds and cant use hand tools, buuuuuuuuuut, until a cheap/realiable/sexy/marketed/supported item comes around (prob made by Ruger) its  (ak pattern shotgun interest) not gonna come back

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

got mine from the funshow yesterday... this my first edited vid with iMovie... thats why its kinda choppy and disjointed...

long story long, they copied everything from a sporter saiga, left holes open where scope rail and trigger guard would mount, used small rivets (it seems anyways) and other stuff...

$568 out the gunshow door.  lil more than i would like to spend but i got impatient...

pulled the gun outta chassis, bolted regular ak furniture to it, then

profilied the hammer a bit, figured it might be helpful.  maybe need more.  later i will polish  carrier a bit , remove the sharp humps...

Edited by saltydecimator

Well, barring action work, etc. really paints you into a corner. The first thing I would do is disassemble, strip all lube, and lube with some CLP Breakfree or some other thin lube (not frog lube, just thin oil). I'd try to evaluate whether or not the recoil spring weights and lengths matched the Saiga 12 closely next. If they are longer or heavier, I might try to find some standard weight Saiga 12 springs. If all was good or close enough with the springs I'd probably remove the gas block and have a look at whether or not it has any blocked ports or deviations from the Saiga 12 design that would affect reliability. Manually manipulate everything in the action and identify any binding. Do it with the recoil assembly in and with it out. The recoil assembly can hide things.

Without mods I doubt it can be coaxed to reliably run the stuff you're shooting.  CSS sells reduced power springs that might lower resistance enough to get the 1325 - 1350 FPS shells to run without having to get into modifying the action and gas system.

If it runs 1450 - 1600 FPS ammo as is, it will definitely run the lower powered ammo with correct modification, but as it's a "new" clone, no one really knows yet how well it will hold up over time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick and dirty, you could use some 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around a precision file in the following places...

trigger hook

hammer where disconnector contacts

hammer where trigger hook contacts

disconnector where hammer contacts

If you have good eyes or a magnifying glass, you might look for any significant burrs or significant rough areas and knock them down with the file first. 

• 3 months later...

So i've been doing a lot of research because I want the 25rnd drum for my tristar compact and since saiga 12 mags are interchangeable I just need to know one more thing which saiga 12 mag version would be interchangeable the lock and load version or the other?

so the vepr is 25 rds and the saiga is 20.  they are NOT interchangeable.... you would have to grind on your plastic to make it fit, and even then it may not....  so if you could try to fashion a vepr 12 type magwell out of hte tristar, it would work... buuuuuuut, that seems far fetched....

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, Rigs said:

So i've been doing a lot of research because I want the 25rnd drum for my tristar compact and since saiga 12 mags are interchangeable I just need to know one more thing which saiga 12 mag version would be interchangeable the lock and load version or the other?

Get an MD-20 drum and a couple of 8 round Russian mags. Those are my favorites and I have used everything except the AA drums, which suck.

• 2 weeks later...