Sign in to follow this  
HB of CJ

Mossberg Double Stack Mags DO NOT Fit The Saiga 12 ...

Title says it.  Had both on the bench at the gun shop.  Held.  Eyeballed.  Attempted.  Compared.  Mossberg double stack box 12 gage mags are not even a close fit.  Width.  Length.  Latching mechanism.  Shell height.

The Mossberg double stacks are for 2.75" shells only.  I have confirmed the Trench 12 and the Saiga 12 receivers are very close. This mean the Mossberg double stacks will NOT fit the Saiga 12 receiver either.  No go.

Now having said this, it would be a fun study and attempt for somebody to sit down and analyze all the differences and come up with a CAD program to experiment with an adapter kit for the Saiga 12 mag well.  Fun?

Doable?  Dunno that.  Right now by multiple eyeballs and comparisons I would say NO.  But anything may be possible.  The Saiga receiver is too narrow.  The Mossberg double stack too wide.  Perhaps a good future project?

By direct comparison the Csspecs 10 rd steel box 12 gage mags click in and out so easy.

• Like 1

you could releive the sides of the saiga receiver, and remove some plastic fro mag? 

this thread is worthless without piiiiiiicccs!

• Like 1

Good pics would help.  Great detailed multiple pics would help better.  Working the problem.  But .... first ya gotta have a good camera.  Then a 8 year old granddaughter to show you how to format the pics to send to this excellent forum.  Then you need to share. 

Edited more:   If somebody came up with a working pre production model of an adaptor that let Saiga 12 and very similar AK type stamped receivers use Mossberg double stack mags, would THAT be a violation of patent rights?  Patent pending rights?  Legalities?

A private component not for public sale.  I dunno.  We compared Ceespec steel box mags to a 5 round Mossberg double stack mag and the Mossberg receiver to a Trench 12 receiver.  All combinations.  Got some smart guys, (not me) to thinking a bit.  We will see.

Edited some more:  Me thinks here is might just be easier to use the 20 rd drum.

Edited by HB of CJ

An adapter to mate two patented products together shouldn't infringe any patents. It would be the same legal grounds as creating an aftermarket magazine or furniture set to fit a patented firearm. Unless the adapter copies a unique and patented attachment method or specific unique design that's patented directly it should not be an issue. The locking method on the mossberg magazines are likely not unique or patented. If they are the patent numbers should be on them to look up to see what design features are specifically covered by the patent.

• Like 1

A nice borrowed or purchased electronical camera now on the fast track.  We really need lots of pictures displayed here.  Then let you smart guys, (really) think a bit.  That is all.