Need Side Rail for Tromix S17 to Mount RDS

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh damn that looks like a pain in the ass. You have to remove the upper to remove the whole thing because of the HK sight?

Check out the new RMR Holosun 507 mount.   http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344871

Spare dust cover & RDS-25 & new RS mounts.  NO shims needed!

Posted Images

Yeah with that setup that's what you're gonna have to do.

With the forward bias of the 301 mount and a 30mm upper, you're able to remove the dust cover with it installed. With that HK sight and super long picatinny upper, you're pretty well fucked for quick removal.

Try cheating the RS upper as far forward on the lower as you can. Then try and remove the dust cover.

Edited by Mullet Man
  • Like 1

Any way you can relocate the rear iron forward?  If the HK rear site was not there could you remove the top cover without having to remove the mount and optic?  If you can remove the rear iron will the top cover come off or will it still be too low?

Have your bore sighted the mount?  How does it line up with your optics adjustments exactly centered.  Probably some bench rest shots required buy maybe you can get it real close with a 12 gage chamber laser bore sighter.  The mount mounts low.

Edited extra;  will you have to shim?  Dunno yet.

Edited by HB of CJ

I thought I could remove the dust cover with everything attached but the side mount is limiting the upward movement to remove the dust cover. Any other ideas?

Yeah..dont sweat it. Heres a video of Robski mounting/shooting/dismounting the rs regulate 20+ times and making consistent hits at 100 and 200yrds. Im sure it will be more than sufficent for use with slugs.

Edited by Veprz

Any way you can relocate the rear iron forward? If the HK rear site was not there could you remove the top cover without having to remove the mount and optic? If you can remove the rear iron will the top cover come off or will it still be too low?

None of that matters because if the HK sight was not there, he could quickly, by the use the of a quick throw lever, remove it in a few seconds. Then upon re-installation, it would return to zero.

I'm not even gonna address the shimming nonsense that you keep bringing up.

Hardly nonsense.  He will find out himself if he needs to shim the factory receiver side rail or not.  My experience is that he may.  I am not alluding to the remove/install zeroing issues with mount.  I am referring to the alignment of the side mount rail on the receiver.  How close it will be up and down and side to side and if it is not so much out of alignment that he can not just adjust the point of impact within his optic.

If he is happy with the adjustment most likely needed within his optic then he is good to go.  But if he finds he is using up a great percentage of his optic adjustment range to zero the optic then he has a choice.  Live with it or shim the rail.  I for one, (just me) but I would not be happy using up some of my optics internal adjustment range.  I would shim the mount.  But this is just me and not others.  Hope this helps.

Not so important with slugs?  Very important with our Saiga 7.62x51.  Leopold 3x9x40 right now.  Shoots about 2" exactly high and centered right to left at 100 yards with the Leopold internal adjustment almost exactly centered with just a handful of 1/4 minute of angle clicks at 100 yards.  Almost dead centered.  Close enough for me.  The other older Leopold 1x4x20 scope also lines up almost exactly correct.  Shimmed.

I have to cook tonight.  What shall I fix?  5:30 pm right now PDT.  I got to get into the kitchen.  Great topic.

The 1913 pic rail is mounted so that it now clears the rear sight BUT I only have 3 of the 4 screw slots available to secure.  Thoughts?  I was going to return these tomorrow and purchase the front bias mount + the AKMD mount for the Bushnell TRS-25 ( of course I will need to purchase the RDS ):

2v2wcgy.jpg

2075ids.jpg

What do you advise?

If you are okay with the real estate that your current lower would leave exposed and unused, then just sell or return/exchange your current upper and get the upper that matches the different RDS. You'd be able to put it far enough forward that it would clear the HK sight upon removal.

Otherwise yeah, your new plan will work too and look a little cleaner.

Edited by Mullet Man

I traded a PRO for an RMR so i can give it a try. Debating on trying the AK302M lower so i can swap it over to my 107UR when i want, or just sticking with my old 301. First world problems.

Anyone want to buy an RS 30mm upper mount?

Edited by Mullet Man

Yeah, definitely wiping the sweat from my brow about the whole side rail shimming thing.....WHEW! ;) 

Bad thing is, unless you want to swap uppers again, you're stuck with some slim choices, due to the mounting pattern of that RDS. 

Edited by Mullet Man
3 hours ago, kwesi said:

Hoping the next TRS-25 performs as advertised.

I would suggest looking into a Primary Arms RDS with the TRS25 mount pattern. Everything i have read about the new TRS25's says they are junk and not built to the "quality" that the older versions were. They just don't hold up like the old ones did. Bushnell somehow allowed the quality to take a shit, on what was once considered a quality optic for it's price range.

Bushnell is shipping me a new unit.  I did confirm ( “they say” ) it will also hold up to 44 mag recoil.  It should arrive in a week.  I will hopefully have a good range report soon.  If not I will check out the PA optic.