Im a little bit suprised they let him off to be honest. The reason why is, going by the article it sounds like he persued them and possibly they were "no longer a threat". Even if they turned back to take a shot while running off Im suprised that they wouldnt fault him for persuing them outside of the house. I know it sounds crazy to the average person but unfortunately it seems like the laws are written to protect the criminals.

It defies instincts that are deeply ingrained in your subconcious mind to have to stop and worry about whether defending you or your families life is legal. And it is disturbingly unfair to expect someone to do so in a life threatening situation. This thinking applies even more so, when the victim (person that was attacked) had no role in bringing on the attack (minding their own business).

I think the problem is that humans have denied the fact that we are in fact animals and we have animal instincts ingrained in us. Instincts that cannot be reliably or fully controlled. Just like a animal that is being threatened or attacked it is 100% natural and should be expected for force to be met with force.

It has been proven over and over that you can be killed with even a single punch to the head (under the right circumstances). Just because a attacker may be unarmed doesnt mean you will not be killed and you should not have to gamble with your life out of fear of prosecution based on "excessive force" used. I believe that if you attack someone you should expect losing your life to be a very real consequence.

Im glad these sh!t bags are taking a dirt nap now.

Well, police can shoot a fleeing subject if he poses a continued danger to the public.  Firing back while fleeing poses such a danger.

Personally, I think you should be able to shoot any perp in the commission of a felony, and as I see it, it was felony flight!

• Like 1

I agree with you. And I would even go as far to say that you should also be justified in protecting your land and property. Any one creeping around your property especially around your house should be fair game with few exceptions (mainly young children chasing a ball into your yard, the pizza guy delivering the pizza you ordered etc..). Criminals are emboldened to commit crimes such as car theft etc because there are no legal, life threatening consequences. They can approach your residence with the intent of home invasion but suffer little if any reprecussions until they actually enter the home (if it occurs in a state with castle doctrine/stand your ground, otherwise they could enter your home and you would be rquired to flee lol).

Then since they suffered little to no punishment, they feel free to attempt again and again.

Texas has one section of their law which could be potentially helpful in these situations.

"A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1 ) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2 ) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A ) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B ) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3 ) he reasonably believes that:

(A ) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B ) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury."

Some one creeping around your house playing with or looking into your windows at 2am would fit my definition of "criminal mischief in the night time" or even anytime.

In the majority of states someone tresspass on to your property and just hang out for hours, and literaly refuse to leave. The police could encourage them to leave and hit them with a b.s. minor charge but thats about it. If you remove them by force now you go to jail smh!

Talk about "reasonable" "common sense" laws, make any physical attack (armed/unarmed) and defense of land and property defensible by deadly force. Then you would see a sharp decline in crime, if that is in fact a goal.

Edited by Veprz
  • Like 1

Here's what the Bible has to say.  If a thief is caught when the sun is down, the thief may be killed with no blood guilt on the owner of the property.  If the sun is up, the thief must repay seven times what he tried to steal.

So, you tried to steal my Aston Martin, you now owe me seven of them! 

That'd stop thievery real quick! 

• Like 4