I think all large cities should be split off as their own "district", separate from the politics of the state as a whole. Let them make whatever policies they wish inside of city limits, that would have no effect anywhere else. The political map would rapidly become a sea of red with a few blue dots.

• Like 5

Passage would give the lunatic left 4 more SENATORS! That would force Texas to split into 5 States, which would give the right 6 more Senators, and the left 2. Thus restoring the balance.

The whole damn thing is preposterous, Cal would have to invent some legal mechanism to do this, and that will not be tolerated by the rest of America. Texas on the other hand can split into 5 States any time they wish - that right is incorporated in the enabling agreement that granted Texas Statehood.

• Like 1

It won't pass, but I'm pretty much always in favor of smaller states. Less concentrated power, more meaningful votes. There is a similar movement here in WA, but I don't see anyone I would take seriously supporting it, with a partial pass for Matt Shea, who is on the whole pretty solid. 

• 2 weeks later...