Sign in to follow this  
derbrererd

Failure to reset hammer?

So I'm having a problem where the hammer occasionally fails to reset after a shot. It was happening about 1/4 times, until I increased the gas power by turning the autoplug a half turn clockwise, now it happens about 1/10 times. When this happens, I can reset the hammer by just pulling the charging handle an inch or so. The strange thing is that it ejects the shells just fine, and I cannot reproduce the error by hand-cycling snap caps, a slow pull of the carrier resets the hammer every time. Any ideas what's going on?

Edited by derbrererd

Sounds like short stroking. Need hotter ammo or more gas, slicker action. Read the how to's .

Thanks, the autoplug has plenty of turn left to increase power. What baffles me is that the hammer should be pushed all the way down by the time the bolt gets anywhere near the ejector, and as I said, it ejects perfectly every time.

I forgot to mention its in a bullpup stock, I'm beginning to suspect the problem is in the bullpup trigger.

What you said. That or a spring hammer issue.

If it's ejecting and feeding correctly, sounds more like Hammer follow. Check your fire control group for proper installation/wear/damage.

Thanks for alerting me to this issue. I really hope thats not whats going on. The spring in my bullpup stock was out of place, so hopefully that fixes it. The hammer-catcher doesnt look scratched or misshapen. I'll know next time I can get to the range.

It's a bullpup, check for binding or sticking of the trigger linkage.