Saiga 12 Bolt Head Damage

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldnt suggest using a dremel. If I was doing it I would use a file by hand and only as much as necessary to clean up the peened/displaced metal. You dont want to remove ANY of the base metal.

The carrier repair will outlast the rest of the weapon. Go ahead and fubar it and it can still be repaired. I am sure I'll eventually offer it as an option for customers. ETA: I actually did offe

Damn bro, you've got the triple threat dream team on the case lol! Youre in good hands.

Posted Images

Better, but more light under the weapon and less over the weapon where the straight edge is would be helpful and the straight edge needs to be held tightly and flatly to the flat part of the trunnion. I turned off the overhead lighting when I took my pics, for example. Do not hold it to the receiver. The alignment issue that is affecting the bolt head, if one exists and it isn't something else, is trunnion vs receiver. In other words, the receiver is at an angle in relation to the trunnion. Hold flat to the trunnion and we can see how far out of whack the receiver is.

It is ok, I'm fairly stubborn. I won't give up on you, lol.

2mdgm1k.jpg

It looks kind of like you are doing it right as far as where the straight edge is placed. Looks significantly out of whack. However, if it runs well and the bolt head damage doesn't get much worse, keep on rocking it. You might take a picture of the bolt now and another from the same distance and angle after the next few hundred rounds and see if it looks any worse. Pictures never forget what something looked like. 

12 hours ago, evlblkwpnz said:

It looks kind of like you are doing it right as far as where the straight edge is placed. Looks significantly out of whack. However, if it runs well and the bolt head damage doesn't get much worse, keep on rocking it. You might take a picture of the bolt now and another from the same distance and angle after the next few hundred rounds and see if it looks any worse. Pictures never forget what something looked like. 

I will take pics once Tony returns the bolt & carrier along with any instructions.  The swapping of the forward recoil spring first using the OEM Plug then the Tac47 both still experiencing the SP’s only to be apparently resolved with the Gunfixr plug does not seem logical.  I want to see another 35-50 rounds of Federal BS then 10-15 slugs on the 1 or -1 Gunfixr function 100% before any other spring changes.  I realize all your feedback is not to resolve the SP’s.  

I do have a NIB Saiga complete recoil rod assembly or I can purchase a couple new full power springs from CS.

BTW: what gas plug do you use on your builds?

I’m open to how to resolve the SP’s.

I always use the factor gas regulator. Believe it or not, it is less restrictive than the aftermarket gas regulators. I modify them for multiple gas settings, but nothing else it done to them.

Not being able to see the weapon I can't give any solid suggestion that would be more than a shot in the dark. I can tell you that it is entirely possible to make them run reliably on bulk pack ammo and safely with 3" loads by using factory parts.