What ammo do I have? and is it rare?

Ja, it is East German. Treat it as corrosive primers  "East German M43"

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1366&bih=642&ei=JPqFW_DFFvHD_QbX1qsI&q=east+german+M43+ammo&oq=east+german+M43+ammo&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.51341.55355.0.55735.21.13.0.3.3.0.161.1206.8j4.12.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..9.12.938...0i22i30k1j0i67k1.0.FoQi9ts716g

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In the mid 1990s, a large amount of it was imported into the US.  Some of the ammunition was blister packed as your picture shows, other was boxed 20 cartridges per box.  The German ammo was mostly steel cored, although there was a plastic-cored training version.  Not long after it first became available, there was a ban on steel cored 7.62x39, so a fair amount of the East German steel core was re-bulleted with lead core, and then imported.  

The steel core is the most accurate 7.62x39 surplus I have found, but it is corrosive, so clean with a water based solvent, then use a water-displacing oil afterwards.  

11 hours ago, NuJudge said:

In the mid 1990s, a large amount of it was imported into the US.  Some of the ammunition was blister packed as your picture shows, other was boxed 20 cartridges per box.  The German ammo was mostly steel cored, although there was a plastic-cored training version.  Not long after it first became available, there was a ban on steel cored 7.62x39, so a fair amount of the East German steel core was re-bulleted with lead core, and then imported.  

The steel core is the most accurate 7.62x39 surplus I have found, but it is corrosive, so clean with a water based solvent, then use a water-displacing oil afterwards.  

Ballistol

• 1 year later...

I support the previous poster. If you haven't shoot it yet, you can ship it to me as well. But it's been a year since you posted this, so I doubt that any ammo from this collection survived. Anyway, I have never seen any east german ammo out there, so I wonder how's the feeling while shooting with such stuff. I'm usually not very emotional while shooting. For example, I don't have goosebumps when I use my favorite 9mm HST ammo, but I may have different feelings while shooting from old guns with old ammo. It's interesting to discover...

Edited by GunStun