i get to try slugs

I go to indoor gun ranges and the one I go to will not let you use slugs and I have had problems with my gun working with buckshot or bird shot. I found a indoor gun range that will only let you use slugs. the slugs I got are like 1700 fps. that's about 300 fps faster than what I been trying do you think it will work right ?

I have had good luck with Remington 2-3/4" Slugger slugs in my 76mm mags.

I couldn't find 3" and wanted to sight in my seeall sight.

I gave up on anything less than 3" for birdshot and got a case of Fiocchi #4 3" that functions flawlessly in my 5 and 8 round mags.

Now I just need to shave off or remove the BHO so it doesn't cut into me when firing.

Weird, all the indoor ranges I've been to are slugs-only.

As we were discussing I some of the other threads, a certain amount of power is required, but even that wont help if the hull isn't heavy enough. Thick plastic + high brass is the recipe.

I'm thinking about getting into ammo loading so I can use brass hulls.

I went to the range today and tried 2 3/4 slugs. in my new 12 round mag it would not even load, my 8 round was the same way. I got it to load 2 3/4 with my 5 round 3 inch mag but it was not kicking it out. I changed my gas plug out  to my adjustable one and tried the 5 round one again. the gun works great with the 5 round 2 3/4 slugs 1800 fps ammo. I have 2-5 round 3 inch shell magazine. I think im going to sell it and get me a Kalashnikov 12 I heard good things about that gun. I watching a  stock saiga 20 with one magazine for 331.00 now. I think the place told me 350.00 last time I talked to them.

On 9/26/2018 at 12:58 PM, derbrererd said:

Weird, all the indoor ranges I've been to are slugs-only.

As we were discussing I some of the other threads, a certain amount of power is required, but even that wont help if the hull isn't heavy enough. Thick plastic + high brass is the recipe.

I'm thinking about getting into ammo loading so I can use brass hulls.

Reloading is worthwhile, but I think you are incorrect about brass hulls being the ticket.

As a general rule, the federal gold medal hulls are really good, as are the Remngton STS. STS are the least hassle, and have the advantage that gun club hulls are nearly as good and load to the same data and are everywhere for free.

High brass is more of a failure point than a benefit, and has nothing to do with the pressure limits of the hull if it is any modern design. The Federal Gold metal are the highest pressure rated hulls, with the STS close second - at least in 12 ga. The STS is low brass, and the FGM is kinda medium low. High brass hulls are often paper basewad style and tend to actually have lower pressure ratings, as well as the potential for defects that can't be observed on inspection.

Fastang, you need to look at both the velocity and the weight. Just velocity isn't enough. Particularly since 20 ga slugs can get very light. A lot of them are saboted or are lighter slugs designed to get a flatter trajectory for East coast deer hunting zones which don't allow rifles. There's a good chance a lot of them are low overall energy.

I don't know the function factor for the S20, but you are going to need to know both of those to get to the muzzle engergy / dram equivalent number for your gun. Basically you will need to learn the minimum DR eq that your gun runs at and buy or make ammo over that threshold. Some stuff near the bottom of your threshold might be a little under it's printed numbers and not run, so if you are right on the bleeding edge, you are gambling.

Based on your other posts, it looks like your gun probably starts out at ~2 /38 dr eq

1582783021_GFZS20GADramEquivalencyChart.JPG.28d6f6d13eb9880a142d8f009ea577cd.JPG

I forget how much each #1 buck pellet weighs, but something tells me that 9 of them probably come out to 1 oz... They are ~40 grains each. Of course that's assuming they are the actual size as labeled.

Remington shot is notorious for being smaller than what it says on the tin.

Looks like that's .822 ounces

7/8 is 0.875, so I think they ended up at 9 pellets for two reasons. One is that #1 buck stacks in layers of 3 in a 20 ga hull, and 9 is the multiple that comes in just under 7/8 oz. 

So that's just over 3 dram equivalent. Pretty hot for a 20 ga round.