So I un-TROMIXED my Tromix S-17.

Call me crazy, but after ten years of ownership, I felt like the Tromix S-17 in my safe was a little dated. 

Adding insult to injury, none of my other Russian shotguns even used the rock and lock magazines anymore. I thought about selling it a few times but could never bring myself to actually listing it anywhere. Slowly but surely, the idea crept into my mind to modify the old style shotgun to except Russian mag-well magazines. Over the last two years I’ve been accumulating parts to male it happen and today I finally got it done.

The whole idea was to make the S17 look more like a Krink/Suchka and more AK-ish. 

This was a lot of work, folks.   😃

oemFN09.jpg

I haven’t settled on a muzzle device yet. I’ve got an idea or two rattling around in my head so we’ll see what happens. 

Edited by lelandeod
Grammar
  • Thanks 3

You aren't crazy. I never cared for the look of those builds either and would have done something else with it too. However, I do understand why he designed them that way. Aside from creating a unique look at the time (before everyone started trying to copy him, lol) it kept things simple, eliminated the excessive comms that custom builds require, and he could build them very quickly. It was extremely wise in regards to making a good profit for the time invested and getting work out of the door. Looks better.

I never understood the desire to always run a muzzle device on a SBS. I like the barrel nut or a Salvo 12, that's it.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 12:41 AM, lelandeod said:

Call me crazy, but after ten years of ownership, I felt like the Tromix S-17 in my safe was a little dated. 

Adding insult to injury, none of my other Russian shotguns even used the rock and lock magazines anymore. I thought about selling it a few times but could never bring myself to actually listing it anywhere. Slowly but surely, the idea crept into my mind to modify the old style shotgun to except Russian mag-well magazines. Over the last two years I’ve been accumulating parts to male it happen and today I finally got it done.

The whole idea was to make the S17 look more like a Krink/Suchka and more AK-ish. 

This was a lot of work, folks.   😃

oemFN09.jpg

I haven’t settled on a muzzle device yet. I’ve got an idea or two rattling around in my head so we’ll see what happens. 

That looks great! What magwell are you using? And what was involved in the installation?

IMO Don’t bother with the muzzle attachments. We always breached doors without them. Just press the barrel against the wood door at a 45 degree angle. Pop the hinges or deadbolt pin going into the door frame.

They just add length and no recoil reduction as most are made as breachers. Can’t say I’ve used an 8in to do it tho.

we were always using issued 9pellet Winchester buck, and it’s a mossberg pistol grip pump just the barrel.

Edited by mike12345