Fighting cartels and illegal immigration - honest questions.

Hey Guys:

First ... I hope it's ok to ask these questions. I ask sincerely and out of honest ignorance of laws, law enforcement, and military operations.

It seems like the drug cartels have always been a big problem not only with regards to illegal drugs, but they have their hand in the illegal immigration business too. Of course, there are folks like Soros, but that's another issue.  Anyway ... from what I've heard and seen in the news, the cartel leaders are very smart in an "evil genius" kind of way.

Given our intelligence capabilities, why don't we  focus those onto the drug cartels, and authorize our military & law enforcement to go on the offensive and take-out these people? Another nation's sovereignty shouldn't matter. After all, we went and got Bin Laden despite him being in Pakistan. Also, I've heard (and this makes sense) that the traffickers use spotters like forward observers to warn when and where the Border Patrol is coming or moving. Why don't we take them out with airpower or snipers? Why don't we go after these folks like they went after Pablo Escobar? I know that took years, but he was eventually tracked down and shot. I shudder to think ISIS and/or Iranian operators are cooperating with the cartels too.

So much of what I've seen on TV seems reactive in nature. I get a bit frustrated every time I see Coast Guard boats & choppers intercepting drug traffickers' speed boats firing warning shots into the water. I'm glad they're doing their job, but a part of me wonders why we don't blow-up the boats before they ever leave port ( if they get identified ) or just go ahead and shoot the boats and sink them?

Pardon my ignorance of law enforcement procedures, but as a patriotic civilian I wonder why we don't take the fight to the cartels more. If we want to get the drug lords, why don't we do more Bin Laden style operations? I realize others are waiting to take their place, but maybe more action on our part will make them think twice. I admit I probably grew up reading too many Tom Clancy books, but why can't we just drop smart bombs on the drug lords? Or why don't we have a sub in the Gulf of Mexico (or near the Pacific shore) launch a few Tomahawks? Maybe I'm crazy, but I think a modern version of the Monroe Doctrine deserves to be enforced.

Just wondering. My overall question is instead of dealing with the fight against the cartels here in the states, why don't we take the fight to the bad guys? After all, that's part of the rationale for the war on terrorism - fight them over there instead of here. Please understand I am pro-police and pro-military. My heart breaks thinking their hands are tied-up by politics.

Please pardon the naïve nature of this posting.

Thank you.

On 11/6/2018 at 7:56 PM, Ronin38 said:

"The Devil you know..."

If the high-up Cartel leaders are taken out, others will rush to fill in. It could get very messy, very quickly.  :2c:

That could be an advantage.  Plenty of in fighting already but a power vacuum will really stir things up