I've spent a long time trying to find a good CCW, and I am a picky SOB. I hate DAO and even DA and hopefully will never own one again. (I may have a glock someday if I was paid to accept it, but I wouldn't carry it except in 3-gun). So there's very few CCWs that are small and SA/DA. There's a Sig, the Walther, H&K, and...(list other options here)?

The sig isn't bad, but it's a tad larger than I want (equivalent with baby glock). The H&Ks I love, but my USP is too big, so that leaves the H&K P2000c which is really nice but a bit bigger and WAY more expensive than I'd prefer. And there's the Walther P99 with AS trigger (anti-stress-basically a DA/SA gun with no external safety).

So I'm darn close to selling my H&K USP45c and picking up a Walther P99 instead. I just wanted some other opinions on Walthers before I sell a gun that I love, but is too darn big for CCW.

Personaly I wouldn't sell off an HK USPc for a Walther, but I understand your wanting a lighter trigger. Haven't had much experience with the Walthers.

I'd check out reviews like this one...

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/waltherp99.htm

I've held the compact Walther and didn't like the size, the grip was too small, much like the HK 2000sc, or a Glock subcompact.

I love my 9mm P99 AS. It is a great gun as the trigger pull is nice at 4.4 lbs in single action and 9lbs or so on the first pull when not put in AS mode. It has one of the best grips in the biz. The grip was made by the famous Italian match pistol grip designer Cesar Morini and includes three different size grips. The original grip fits my hands well even though I have smaller hands I can go one biger or one smaller. The gun looks great and with the right weaver add on for the pre 2004 guns like I have mounted on mine you can put almost anything on it. I have never had a misfire with my gun as well after approx 1500 JHP, FMJ rounds.

If you dont like this gun for any reason the new Taurus 24/7 pro has almost identical action and a great accesory rail with more of the popular caliber options and a decent grip. Here are some pics and a video of my gun.

VIDEO Soon a video of me and the new clip

n42003904_30057722_7997.jpg

n42003904_30057716_6212.jpg

34+1 fun clip

n42003904_30062246_6005.jpg

ryan5cq.jpg

ryan22ao.jpg

My Buddies 24/7 Pro

mike6ka.jpg

Edited by R Mac

Im going to go out on a limb here and make my personal suggestion. A CZ 75 BD/SA. the cz 75's are good little guns, and are confortable. very similar to the berretta issue gun, so I dont know if that is anything like what you want. there was a place in PA that had the BD on gunbroker for 365 a piece with 2 16 round magazines. Any carry gun HAS TO be DA/SA in my opinion, and this is one of the CZ's that are DA/SA. I myself think an exposed hammer is the way to go as well, as you can COCK the gun if you have the time and get that pinpoint shot. look into it, maybe you can find a used one at a good enough price and not have to sell your beloved USP. my brother in law bought a sig something for some outrageous price, shot it, and sold it. the more you spend means about nothing in some things, and this is one of them.

this is the one here I would buy if I had the money right now on gunbroker:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44481643

the CZ's ive shot and handled I liked. lots of bang for the buck, and I hear lots of good things about them from thier owners. the 75 BD is relatively harder to find, and is the preferred one in the circles I am in. I myself prefer a faster round like .40 s+w, but thats just me. I would never try to defend myself from some drug addict with a 9mm, let alone a carjacker. like I said, though, thats just me. to each thier own. my pistol skills are not the greatest, so I prefer the harder hit.

I agree. The CZ pistols are underestimated by most American shooters. They are a good buy for the money. As for the exposed hammer, there is a downside; along with the extra control there comes the risk of it becoming hung on the draw, somthing to think about when considering a CCW.

I've heard great things about the CZs, but they're about the same size as the H&K that I currently use as my CCW. I looked into the 24/7, but again, its a bit larger than I'm looking to go. I'm most tempted to go with the Walther, but I'll be sure to handle it and hopefully shoot it before I buy it. I also need to be sure I can get a decent price for the H&K. Thanks for all the info y'all!

RMac, that's a pretty gun. No doubt about it. I'd be almost as proud of owning that as I am the H&K. What's your take on the P99 compact? And do the P99 magazines fit it as well? (I want to be able to go high cap, if not the 32 rnder at least a 20rnder)

Edited by AegisDei

The P99 clips are all interchangeable between the compact and the full size. Walther even sent me 2 free 16 round clips to go with my other 10 rounders that came with the gun to celebrate the assault weapons bill dissolving. The frame on the P99 full size which is my model is rather small in its own right. while still allowing great control of the weapon. I have smaller hands and I still do not feel comfortable with any compacts. The P99 compact although a very nice looking gun still feels way to small to me. I have not fired the gun as you can get it in the same actions as the full size but just holding the grip, I didn't feel very confident if I had to hold onto it in some sort of struggle. It does feel more controllable than the Glock 26/36 in the side by side comparison. To each his own though. Grips feel different to everyone and I would recommend trying all the grips for yourself. Keep in mind though the only way to truly judge a gun as you know is first hand experience meaning shooting the exact gun you want. I highly recommend the AS action and so does 58% of the Walther Forums.

Great Site With Lots of Info

Compact VS Full Size

P99ASCompact25s.jpg

Side View

P99ASCompact21s.jpg

XML Light

P99ASCompact35s.jpg

I've heard great things about the CZs, but they're about the same size as the H&K that I currently use as my CCW. I looked into the 24/7, but again, its a bit larger than I'm looking to go. I'm most tempted to go with the Walther, but I'll be sure to handle it and hopefully shoot it before I buy it. I also need to be sure I can get a decent price for the H&K. Thanks for all the info y'all!

RMac, that's a pretty gun. No doubt about it. I'd be almost as proud of owning that as I am the H&K. What's your take on the P99 compact? And do the P99 magazines fit it as well? (I want to be able to go high cap, if not the 32 rnder at least a 20rnder)