Vepr 12 mag release

Can anyone explain how in the hell you are supposed to get a magazine release back in to a vepr12? I've taken it to three gun Smith's that all state they can install the ram mag release and they all hold on to it for three weeks and then tell me they can't do it. I would really like to be able to shoot this without having to duct tape the drum to it lol... pictures or a video would be greatly appreciated! 

Well, I suppose that eliminates the possibility of drop it off, go have some lunch, and come back to pick it up.

Are they unable to get the pin out? Is there any evidence of them even trying to get the pin out? I don't understand what else about it could be even remotely difficult.

10 hours ago, evlblkwpnz said:

Well, I suppose that eliminates the possibility of drop it off, go have some lunch, and come back to pick it up.

Are they unable to get the pin out? Is there any evidence of them even trying to get the pin out? I don't understand what else about it could be even remotely difficult.

Right, it's a relatively mundane task.

• Like 1

In my opinion, a gunsmith's #1 skill asset is the ability to swing a hammer with power and precision. Without it, one is really painted into a very small corner of potential activities. Your local 'smiths may be a little short on that asset. Either that or they can't figure out how to get the catch and spring back in there at the same time, which is fairly easy with a slave pin.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I’m gonna be in Loveland on mother’s day, lemme know if ya wanna get together 

ya, modern gunsmiths in stores basically mount scopes and clean guns.  Not that I hate them, I just think most folks don’t want to pay what an actual smith would want. Plus dealing with the smiths particular “attitude of the day” is a lil off putting. Granted, my experience is coming from being that punk kid who undervalues the guy who has put in the time.