Jump to content
sure2survive

AWS Spetz 12

Recommended Posts

It is an easy way to get into an AK based AOW though. Get an approved Form 1 and let the surgery begin...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but why would you wanna aow if its presently OTC?  i emailed K-usa and they said their receiver is the "gun"  i think the s-12 is the front trunnion, what about the vepr?

Edited by saltydecimator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, saltydecimator said:

but why would you wanna aow if its presently OTC?  i emailed K-usa and they said their receiver is the "gun"  i think the s-12 is the front trunnion, what about the vepr? 

It can be made a lot shorter and lighter by doing a 6.5" or 8" AOW with the gas system relocated. It will also run much better on a wide range of loads. It is indeed cool, but some people want more than what it offers as-is in the envelope of 'other'.

 

Wherever the serial number is the 'gun' is. Vepr-12 serial number is on the trunnion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting...  the aow route never aligned with my state/localities masters so i never pursued it...

 

i asked the question over in the sbs section, but couldnt a longer carrier piston be used, bore a hole through the puck, and let the carrier piston extend through the front of the gas block, like an AA-12?  wouldnt need to weld the tab on.  and maybe could reuse your pistons etc, instead of fabbing a new one?  seem like it would be a bit more work, but i dont weld...(barrel hood, for when carrier comes out of gas tube/guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 6.5" carrier comes well out of the gas tube. I'm sure you've seen it run by now. I have a means of addressing it.

 

Where is this tab you are talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just put 150 slugs through mine today, nothing broke but the gas adjuster is going in the garbage. Not as bad as I thought it would be with the brace.

received_407733463294720.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dont trash it send it to me!  looks good how it run?  i wont buy one but i love the idea of it! 

 

i gotta look up your 6.5", that part eluded me...  normally folks weld a tab to rear of gas tube, under dust cover lip, that catches carrier... supposedly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 9:12 AM, evlblkwpnz said:

My 6.5" carrier comes well out of the gas tube. I'm sure you've seen it run by now. I have a means of addressing it.

 

Where is this tab you are talking about?

so whats keeping it aligned?  ive seen it run, but havent seen your fix...

 

watched a buncha your vids but didnt see detail

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tab is typically welded to the front underside of the dust cover.  The carrier bounces up as the rod stub leaves the tube.  The tab reduces the amount of pry and resistance the bounce can cause against the rails and also keeps the stub down low enough that it doesn’t crash into the the upper edge of the tube on it’s return.  

Ill have to get me one of those Spetz and check out what they are doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, saltydecimator said:

so whats keeping it aligned?  ive seen it run, but havent seen your fix...

 

watched a buncha your vids but didnt see detail

Oh yeah, that tab. I don't do it so quick and dirty. Mine isn't that simple or a welded shim and takes a lot longer to do, but works extremely well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else with a spets having problems with screwing a muzzle device on? Ordered a 10 slot choke adaptor and jam nut and neither go on more then a thread.   The gas adjustor it came with has no spot for a tool and the knurling is garbage 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a cause to everything. From here, it looks like the pin was drilled at an angle instead of horizontally. Where this pin is visible on the outside of the gas block does it look like the hole is much higher on the left side of the gun than the right side. If it is in there at an angle and the cause of the thread issues a tap should cut threads in the pin just fine, but if the pin is ever removed it is going to have to go back in exactly like it came out or you will need to run a tap through it again.

I have a pretty busy day today, but if I can remember I'll check a Saiga-12 gas regulator and see what the threading is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like it is at an angle. Kind of a redneck test but putting in the plug a couple a couple times when clean it looks like the lead thread on the gas plug gets folded over a tiny bit so I'm guessing its hitting the pin as it goes all the way in. New gas plug and a bit of thread chasing should fix it.   

   After 300 slugs on position 1 (150 each range visit) gun is running ok but won't feed more then 5 rounds out of a magazine and dosent like the drums at all. Position 2 felt over gassed with same slugs. Guessing to much drag with mag tension. Dont want to smooth anything out till I figure out the muzzle threads since AWS is very clear that warranty is void if you do just about anything to it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming it is the same, threads are 21x1.0 RH. It may be a pain in the arsenhoffler to find that tap for a fair price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's it.

 

I think I'm about to order that tap too. Even Saiga-12 gas blocks are a bit goofy. This could save me some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kindapointless said:

It looks like it is at an angle. Kind of a redneck test but putting in the plug a couple a couple times when clean it looks like the lead thread on the gas plug gets folded over a tiny bit so I'm guessing its hitting the pin as it goes all the way in. New gas plug and a bit of thread chasing should fix it.   

   After 300 slugs on position 1 (150 each range visit) gun is running ok but won't feed more then 5 rounds out of a magazine and dosent like the drums at all. Position 2 felt over gassed with same slugs. Guessing to much drag with mag tension. Dont want to smooth anything out till I figure out the muzzle threads since AWS is very clear that warranty is void if you do just about anything to it. 

The number 2 setting is way too much gas for some high brass rounds.  The number 1 setting is not enough for most.  It is a poorly thought out gas plug.  Better than the original Saiga-12 gas plug though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tromix - Lead Delivery Systems
Dinzag Arms
CHAOS, Inc
Mississippi Auto Arms, Inc
Cobra's Custom
Carolina Shooters Supply
R & R Targets
LONE STAR ARMS
SGM Tactical
Mach 1 Arsenal
K-VAR
C&S Metall-Werkes
American Specialty Ammo
Csspecs Magazines
Phoenix Technology
Evlutionz LLC


  • Chatbox

    Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.
×