First range report on my Lynx 12

I cleaned and lubed my new toy before going to the range.  I set the gas block to one stop above the smallest setting.  The first 18 rounds were slugs.  Every one cycled perfectly.  The recoil was stout and point of impact at 30 yards was below the point of aim.  Next was some high brass No. 2 goose loads.  All functioned perfectly.  On to low brass No. 7 1/2 field loads.  All 25 functioned perfectly.  Next came my trap reloads.  Winchester AA hulls with 11/8 oz. of number 8 shot over red dot powder.  They started out pretty well but they were noticeably softer.  One round stuck in the ejection port and one failed to feed (a tap on the bolt handle fixed that).  I moved the gas block setting up one notch.  Problem solved.  For the final test I had 50 Winchester AA Plus 1 oz. Target Loads.  These were No. 8 shot over a mere 2 3/4 dram equivalents of powder.  Winchester calls these powder puffs their "XTRA LITE" WW12LAAP.  Each and every one of these rounds functioned perfectly.  I couldn't be happier.  Tomorrow I will break it down to clean it.  I'll report if I find anything unusual.

IMG_0128.jpg

44 minutes ago, kindapointless said:

Which red dot and how are you mounting it?

I'm going with a UTG mount.  Ten+ years ago I bought a BSA red dot for a Mosin Nagant.  I upgraded the red dot with a smaller, newer unit.  The old one just sat in a drawer.  That's what I'm starting with.  It will only be used with slugs.  Like the old guy was heard to say, "If she dies, she dies!"

Edited by TXscooterguy

Actually you really only have 3 ports with that plug.  The off setting is not truly off.  It should tried first with your high power and  heaviest of load.  The 4th and largest setting isn’t gaining anything over the 3rd setting.  The 3rd setting is way larger than the ports in the barrel can feed as it is.  Just having that huge 4th port there actually hurts the efficiency of low brass regardless of on the 3rd of 4th setting because it adds a chunk of chamber volume to fill with gas.  It would be a better plug if it wasn’t even there or welded up.  The number 2 setting is good for a lot of high brass but still a little too much gas for some rounds that won’t operate off the 1 setting.  If you add an extra detent with a mill, drill press or dremel just off the detent that the 2nd setting uses you can slightly turn past it and close it off a little and make an extra setting for that ammo.  If you do the detent should basically meet the edge of the 2nd settings detent.  

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

It would be a better plug if it wasn’t even there or welded up.

I'm going to call SDS and see if I can buy an additional plug.  I've got a small wire welder that should be able to close up the big chamber.  I got the lightest loads to reliably function on the third setting so I don't think I'd ever need the forth.  I'll report back.

I don’t think they sell them as spares.  Yeah,  the 4th setting can’t let in anymore gas than the 3rd setting can so nothing to gain by using the 4th.  You can get a touch of extra efficiency if you weld up the 4th setting to decrease chamber volume.  Just clean up the outer diameter good or stand off from it a touch.  You should notice that it ejects the low brass with a touch more force after that.

5 hours ago, TXscooterguy said:

Here's the lug side.

IMG_0134.jpg

Everyone see those 2 pits on the bolt lug?  That’s where they tested the hardness of this bolt.  I’m willing to bet these aren’t anywhere on those TriStar guns or other Chinese or Turkish clones...  Why would they bother when they know they don’t care anyways, lol.

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Everyone see those 2 pits on the bolt lug?  That’s where they tested the hardness of this bolt. 

So I'm thinking that means my handsome face won't become even more rugged thanks to an exploding bolt.  Luckily I ride a motorcycle so there's still a chance I can up my craggy good looks.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been having fun @ range w Lynx.  Got all loads cycling.  Some low brass SuperX 7 1/2 fail to load all the way (fall short by 1/2").  

Fixed a ProMag compact15 drum. Out of box it had two full revs on spring, so fully loaded was at three revolutions, this was stopping the feed cycle halfway when the next round below pushed up on round being fed.  Set it to one revolution empty....works fine now.

Got new Bushnell Engulf 5 moa red dot on top of UTG mount (needed .041x1/4" K&S brass strip as shim to correct slight cant, now bead is centered in V groove).

Pic of 50 yard target (butcher paper w 3" circle), paper is 17"x22", two groups slugs, last group tighter 4 above right of target; then shot 1 round 3" Win Varmint BB, and 1 round #2 Remington; SGM Modified Choke & Brake, shot standing position.

IMG_0586.JPG

Edited by Saiga12Newb
  • 5 weeks later...

Back at range last weekend, shot slugs at 100 yards, target printed on 8 1/2"X11" paper.

25 yard pattern  on 17" wide butcher paper was 1 Round 2 3/4" 00 Federal, 1 round 2 3/4" Win #4 buck

Both out of Lynx12 w SGM Mod Choke.

Shot 50 rounds of Aguila 2 3/4" 7 1/2 target loads, 1250FPS....really nice shells, and high brass to boot.  $5.99 box (25 rounds) at Academy.  Quality far better than the Win Super X I bought for Dove.

Gun is getting smoother and smoother!