Saiga .223 magazine options?

I just bought a Saiga .223, which is on its way to Tony Rumore for conversion.

Obviously, I would rather modify the gun than modify the mags. That being said, I am looking for all my options:

Can the mag well (or whatever other parts) be modified so the .223 Saiga will accept unmodified Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags?

Can the Saiga be modified to accept unmodified E German Weiger mags?

Can it be modified to accept both of the above, unmodified ?

I am aware that the Bulgarian waffles can be modified to fit the Saiga .223; however once modified, will the waffle mags still function in say a SA-M5? I have a SA-M5.

I am also aware that someone has been able to modify the .223 Saiga to accept AR15 mags. The modification was stated as substantial, but I am sure Tony is capable of doing it.

Are there any other options available.

Your comments, opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I just bought a Saiga .223, which is on its way to Tony Rumore for conversion.

Obviously, I would rather modify the gun than modify the mags. That being said, I am looking for all my options:

Can the mag well (or whatever other parts) be modified so the .223 Saiga will accept unmodified Bulgarian 5.56 waffle mags?

Can the Saiga be modified to accept unmodified E German Weiger mags?

Can it be modified to accept both of the above, unmodified ?

I am aware that the Bulgarian waffles can be modified to fit the Saiga .223; however once modified, will the waffle mags still function in say a SA-M5? I have a SA-M5.

I am also aware that someone has been able to modify the .223 Saiga to accept AR15 mags. The modification was stated as substantial, but I am sure Tony is capable of doing it.

Are there any other options available.

Your comments, opinions and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I know I don't have the exact answers you're looking for, but I can tell you that my modified Weigers work in my S-223 as well as my SAR-3. And for what it's worth, the modification is minimal.

• 2 months later...

Yes, yes and yes.

-The Weiger mags work once you trim down the trunion so they fit in properly.

-Regular bakelite 5.45 mags work once you put in a special follower made by Robarm. (Mag will still work with 5.45 rifle too. Also counts as 1 US part.)

-Never used the waffle mags but I've seen it done.

I'm currently trying to get Galil mags to work so any advice would help me out a lot guys.

Yes, yes and yes.

-The Weiger mags work once you trim down the trunion so they fit in properly.

-Regular bakelite 5.45 mags work once you put in a special follower made by Robarm. (Mag will still work with 5.45 rifle too. Also counts as 1 US part.)

-Never used the waffle mags but I've seen it done.

I'm currently trying to get Galil mags to work so any advice would help me out a lot guys.

The Galil's mags wobble some in the receiver, but I haven't had any problems with the mags. All that needs to be done is filing down the very front raised portions.

post-2892-1147040167_thumb.jpg

HTH

I bought 3 of the 50 round Galils from CDNN, didn't have to touch them, other than loadem up and start shooting, but my gun also has a bullet guide to help.

I don't know if there is some difference between the Steel 35s and the 50s but I have been tinkering with my 35s for some time trying to get them to feed right and I do have a feedramp from k var installed. They snap in alright but besides the serious side to side wobble they have, they don't fed for shit. In fact a lot of times the bolt rides up over the top of the shell and creases it. What exactly did you use for a feedramp termite?

Good to see ya around again Messiah! :smoke:

I used a piece of 3000 PSI pipe. Had to grind and buff until I got it to just where the bolt would clear it. When you start getting close, spray it with lay out die to see where it's hitting, and then again when you chamber a round to see where the bullet starts to ride up, I put a tiny notch there to help it. Shot another full clip last saturday to shut up the thumper, not a jam 1.

• 3 weeks later...

That was me. I haven't spent much time on the forum in a few months, work has been busy. I had to cut on the S223 quite a bit, more than what was in my last post, but the AR mags work flawlessly now. Here is the link to my post...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=9587&hl=galil