Hey everyone, my name is Mr B (until we go fully public). Me and a good friend of mine are currently looking at producing a belt feeding device for Saiga 12's, AR-15's and 10's, and 7.62 AK's. We're currently working on prototypes at the moment, and seem to have a proof of concept. This being said, me and him are pursuing a patent for our design and intend to take precision machining classes this coming fall to help produce it, and production within the next two years (hopefully, I don't want to make promises I cannot keep). 

I wanted to see how interested the Saiga community would be in purchasing a product like this. The device allows you to feed a belt holding 100 rounds (these belts can be clipped together). We currently have a functional battery operated prototype and are working on designing a spring loaded design. This device feeds shells into the Saiga while consecutively ejecting the belt (by one slot) every time a shell is ejected.

Obviously the largest market is the AR and AK markets, but I feel like you guys are hungry to pop off 100 rounds of birdshot without reloading. Please let us know if you're interested in this project. We're both young entrepreneurs and want to build you guys something incredible. Again sorry for the vagueness.

As a side-note, this product is not legally defined as a high capacity magazine by California law etc. The feeding device is intended to feed a belt in and out of it, and it may hold shells if you choose to do such.This being said, we intend to sell this product to every state in these states united. With this being said, it is also a clear, hard, and large screw you to the states that like to restrict your fun.

As another side-note, this belt feeding device will not  require modification for your firearm (upper reciever etc.), and will work with any firearms that take standard Saiga magazines.

Price comes out to $100 or so

Edited by Saiga Unlimited
Bad Grammar
  • Like 1

It does seem a little far-fetched, but for the moment let's assume that what you are saying is true.  If that is the case, then yes S12 fans would be very interested.

The 2 parts that are suspect are the $100 price and the "no modifications necessary"

5 hours ago, pedal2alloy said:

It does seem a little far-fetched, but for the moment let's assume that what you are saying is true.  If that is the case, then yes S12 fans would be very interested.

The 2 parts that are suspect are the $100 price and the "no modifications necessary"

The price could go up in the future, but as for modifications. The way our design works is that a sprocket attached to a small motor strips the belt from the ammunition as it feeds into the feeding ramp. Essentially, it's meant to be a replacement for high capacity magazines.

Edited by Saiga Unlimited
typo

Its possible to make such an item. But I promise the price will balloon.. Since you are planning to go to classes to learn how you have little experience.

Nothing is easy or cheap.. I'd suggest looking at similar devices and pricing.

Market value should be $300 or so.. Don't commit yourself to $100, I don't think that price point is possible.

On 5/14/2019 at 8:27 PM, csspecs said:

Its possible to make such an item. But I promise the price will balloon.. Since you are planning to go to classes to learn how you have little experience.

Nothing is easy or cheap.. I'd suggest looking at similar devices and pricing.

Market value should be $300 or so.. Don't commit yourself to $100, I don't think that price point is possible.

Thank you for the info, you're probably right. We're also looking at producing an extension to lower the price. That way you don't have to buy the full product, but just insert it into your current magazine. Although, this could be difficult. We've come up with a design for the AR and AK platforms, but the rimmed shell is giving us a new issue at the moment because we want to lower the price while keeping things reliable.

Well I'd suggest trying to get a single well made product off the ground as quickly as possible.. I think you'll find the AR-15 crowd to be very large.

Shotgun shells are difficult. Our first couple times tackling shotgun shell magazines did not go perfectly and it took multiple attempts to get it right, rifle rounds are significantly easier.

As for a patent, be ready for a cost as high as $10-15K, the file online patents are basically worthless because your claims have to have a very specific wording to work.. Also expect to find a few similar devices, because belt feed conversions of box magazine rifles have been tested back as early as the 30s, most of the time they worked well but took to many modifications to the original rifle to be worth doing... So if you get it worked out to be plug and play you probably have a winner of a product.

If you want some general suggestions on manufacturing google my user name.. My contact page has a phone number and an email address. I've been making gun parts for a decade and can give you some tips on how to get your product off the ground.. Just don't tell me much or anything about it until you have it protected.. I have a cnc mill, cnc laser and am happy to do short run contract manufacturing.

• Like 1

Depends what your looking for. If I can't do it, or I think I'll be too expensive I'll tell you.. I might have a suggestion for another shop or two depending on what the part is.

I gave a price to a company back five months ago, and I felt like I was too high at first, but it was what I could do.. Well last week they came back and gave the green light for production, along with asking for quotes on three other parts..  So apparently I'm the cheapest option around for those parts... Surprised me.

Asking is pretty cheap (free).. Just try to have a drawing in my hands so I know what I'm looking at, a pencil drawing on printer paper is OK it just needs to have dimensions on it otherwise my brother gets really pissy.. And if I know what price point your going for I can help cut costs or increase quality depending on the goal.

• Like 2

I can do pretty good drawings. I've studied it twice through the years. I've seen hilariously bad drawings, so I can only imagine what kind of stuff has been submitted to you. In most cases I would provide a prototype. It would probably be refreshing for your brother ;)

While I am here, thank you for the knowledge that you offer to the community here. I always learn something from you and I really appreciate it. I know I am not alone in that.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let’s see videos already!! Fave Ramsey says what makes your idea succeed vs someone else taking and stealing and succeeding with your idea is YOU. You are the X factor. It’s your baby you gonna stay up late and come in early to make it happen. 

Worst case if someone steals your idea, you come up with another!!  Because if you have one good idea chances are high that you could come up with another. Food for thought (patents  expensive)(and I’m curious, and visual)!!