Pulling the trigger on a project - some questions

Hi Guys:

I'm "pulling the trigger" on a project I want to pursue. I want to build an M-40ish clone in .308 Winchester using McMillan's A-4 stock. I'm not aiming for an exact reproduction like G.A. Precision makes, but something more "benchrest" in nature with a bull barrel that has a target crown. I'm going to have to simply buy one component at a time as I can afford them.

I will first get a plain Remington 700 SA .308 receiver. It comes with their adjustable X Mark Pro trigger which I assume is Remington's answer to Savage's AccuTrigger. My question is does this trigger really need to be replaced with a Timney trigger? I know folks love Timneys, but not having to get one will save a lot of money.

Should I get a stainless steel barrel or a chrome/moly barrel? Seems like everyone like gets an SS barrel. I just want to have components with a matte black finish.

Per an earlier post of mine, someone recommended keeping this "BDL" in nature. Will a BDL conversion kit from Brownell's suffice?  

Also, is there a certain kind of barrel lug you might recommend? I've visited Brownell's and they have a plethora of Rem 700 barrel lugs. I have no idea if one is better than a stock Remington 700 lug. Most sure cost a lot more though. How do you choose?

My initial goal is to get the receiver, lug, and barrel first. I'll get the stock later and whatever bottom metal later. I assume McMillan will need to know what kind of components you have in order to properly inlet a stock.

Thanks guys.

P.S.: I got to fire a GA Precision M-40A3 last summer. I clover-leafed for the first time with that rifle. Federal GMM .308 168 gr. rounds were fired and a 16x scope was mounted on it.

Great rifle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 10:42 PM, Squeaky said:

P.S.: I got to fire a GA Precision M-40A3 last summer. I clover-leafed for the first time with that rifle. Federal GMM .308 168 gr. rounds were fired and a 16x scope was mounted on it.

Great rifle.

People come to me from time to time wanting a custom bolt gun built. I always refer them the GA Precision. I've never heard anything but people being impressed with their builds.