Knockdown power and pattern?

Do saiga 12's have lower knock down power or throw a larger pattern Than say a stoeger m3000  cylinder ,26' barrel using 7.5 birdshot? 

Even using a choke the S12 seems to have lower knock down power on knock over steel. say 15 yards away

I can tell a huge difference using same ammo.  

Do you guys have same results? is it inherent to design ?  To much gas?

Is there a fix ?

Mine does cycle all bulk ammo

Thanks

1, "knock down power" is a very subjective and debatable thing.

2 for steel plates, there's muzzle velocity, shot weight, and pattern density. If any of those is lower, the plate is less likely to fall. If any is higher, then more likely.

3 a 19.5" barrel is going to be maybe 300 FPS lower than a 26" barrel with most light ammo. That's just a gunpowder thing. The action doesn't use enough gas to make a difference in velocity, and the shell is shucked after the shot is out of the barrel, so it also doesn't affect velocity there either. If you want more velocity, choose a spicier shell. It's that easy. You may prefer more mass though, so keep reading.

4. Chokes aren't all the same. Pattern yours https://www.chuckhawks.com/pattern_shotgun.htm You might have a wider pattern, and it might be offset from where you think you are aiming. Only way to know is to do the work and know. You haven't said what choke you are using, but there are a few adapters out there that let you have an assortment of either rem chokes or winchokes. I like the DPH choke adapter with full winchoke, but your application might want something tighter or looser. It's the combo of specific ammo and specific choke at the range you plan to shoot.

5. Easy fix is to try a couple of chokes that give you a reasonably dense pattern at the ranges you plan to shoot. Then chose a load with a little more pellets at about the same velocity. If you use 1 1 /4 oz loads at 1200 FPS, you will have a pretty good smack, and still less recoil than a lot of the other semi autos, and way less than the pumpers.

Edited by gunfun

At 15 yards away you may not be getting enough shot on the target. As gunfun said try some chokes, different loads, or combinations of both. You might even try some Federal loads with the Flight Control hull, but up close it may be like firing a slug. I haven't had the opportunity to do much experimenting with them, but they are impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I will do some more experimenting with the choke and patterns.

my choke is one of those adjustable poly chokes  i got from saiga 12 .

Anybody every chrono birdshot from saiga barrel?

I did try some 1300 fps 1 1/4 loads. but those really rocked the gun  

Edited by xls177