Hi guys:

My Rem 700 short-action receiver has arrived. I've heard a lot about blueprinting and trueing a receiver.

Based on comments here and reading I've done, I get the impression that blueprinting and trueing the bolt & receiver are two different operations.

Am I correct in thinking truing is more important than blueprinting? Trueing the bolt and receiver is where some accuracy is ensured because this is where you're squaring things?

I just want to make sure. I admit I want to save some money. Blueprinting sounds more cosmetic and redundant - not necessary. Trueing must be done since this is a stock Remington receiver.   

Should a gunsmith have my receiver with him when I get a barrel contoured & chambered to ensure the barrel and receiver are squared to each other too, or can they just be screwed together later?

Thanks guys. I really want to do things properly to ensure a good shooting rifle.  

All I know to do after this is to get a gunstock, have it inletted, and then glass bed the action. Pillars will come with my bottom metal (a Badger M5 style clone).

Go here...

GA Precision

ETA: Edited for sanity. It is $100 to true and blueprint when they are installing and barrel at the same time. Barrel install is $290. Sorry. One can't even buy the tooling required to do this work for $400, so if I needed it done it wouldn't get done at my shop ;) Out it would go...

It is about $400 to true and blueprint an action and install a barrel (labor, no parts). These guys definitely know what they are doing. They do fluting and I would guess they do profiling, etc. but you will have to ask them.

Wow!  $400

You have just entered the rabbit hole.  Glass bedding may or may not help your gun.

Shoot it and then see if it is needed. All barrels flex as the bullet is zooming down the bore. I have found that a good resonator and a good load that works with the rifle is the best money spent

11 hours ago, jerry52 said:

Wow!  $400

You have just entered the rabbit hole.  Glass bedding may or may not help your gun.

Shoot it and then see if it is needed. All barrels flex as the bullet is zooming down the bore. I have found that a good resonator and a good load that works with the rifle is the best money spent

Sorry, I goofed. $400 to true and blueprint would be 4x insanity, lol.