I'm toying with the idea of completing my Saiga collection by finally getting a .308. Until now my opinion has always been that they are nothing but overpowered and underfed AKs. I have seen a couple of threads about people finally coming up with a way to modify a semi hi cap mag.

What about accuracy? Are they at least as accurate as a Saiga .223?

When I sighted in my scope for deer season this year, we put my 22" wood saiga in a shooting vice. At 200 yards it was holding around one and a half inch groups. That was with Austrailian surplus ammo. I would get a flyer every now and then but I would imagine that was the ammo.

Sweet! That sounds like they are plenty accurate for my uses!

At least the 21" barreled ones.

Does anyone else have a report for their 16" model?

I am trying to decide whether to get a 16" like I want, because it looks more like a traditional AK when converted, or a 22" because of better accuracy.

Just how much difference is there?

I haven't tried searching for threads on the subject but I'm sure thre must be some.

I was out at the range yesterday. My 16 inch gun with a 2x shotgun scope at 50 yards would shoot into 3/4 inch with Silver Bear 140 SP. I dont think you will find much difference between the long and short versions. I prefer the short one because its easier to carry.

Edited by ironhead7544

There was just a thread on that not too long ago and it was leaning towards them being equal. I prefer the 16" one as well. Sub 1" groups @ 100yds are commonly reported. That's all my 22" VEPR will do and it has a very heavy barrel. :smoke:

The longer barrel can be shortened later if you wanted to. I'm thinking that 18" barrel would be a good traded off . Still get full powder burn without a lot of velocity loss. There was an old post on this forum by Sheik, were he stated that he had several FAL, that the the Saiga would out group with hand loads. :smoke:

I'm shooting 1 1/2" groups @ 100yds with my 16" barreled saiga using south african 308ball ammo. I have heard there is no difference in accuracy between the 16" barrel and the 22" barrel saiga's at 100yds. There is some others who are having good accuracy with the 16" barreled saiga's too one is hitting 1 liter bottles in the necks at 200yds and another is hitting gongs at 400yds+ too. It makes me wonder where the 16" barrel accuracy falls off and how much farther can the 22" barreled saiga shoot? I would think there is a difference between them at longer yardages but for upclose and personal work the 16" barrel can hold its own out to 400yds+ which is good to know. I have no clue how they shoot this far with no scope too there using iron sites. I like my 16" so far but i haven't shot my 22" yet either I think they both rock. :killer:

I have heard there is a difference between the saiga's in accuracy too. The Saiga's in 308win and in 223rem are a tad more accurate than the russian calibers of 7,62x39 and 5,45x39. The russians said there not sure why but they think its the straighter case of the 308win and the .223rem is why there more accurate. I have found my 308 saiga to be accurate with south african ammo and my .223 saiga to be accurate with wolf ammo. I'm sure both can shoot tighter groups with reloads but i'm very happy with the accuracy of the over the counter ammo i'm getting right now. But it does make me wonder how good can they shoot benchrested with reloads too. Don't let the AK design fool you these are some serious accurate guns to come out of russia and they wanted to hit our sporter hunting market and i think they did it very well with a russian manufactured quality product its unmatched in performance vs. cost(affordability) they found a nitch in our market. One of my local dealers is sold out of the 223's already.

Ok on which one to get first?? Buy the 16" barreled 308win saiga first and you will be impressed so much with it you will go after the 22" barreled saiga in 308 next. And if you don't have a saiga in .223 already be prepared the saiga in .223rem is next. Once your hooked your hooked on saiga's I know I been there ever since i shot my first 308 saiga my other guns are collecting dust now. With the high prices of all the surplus military semi-auto's its the affordable price tag and the russian quality thats attractive and making some take a second look at saiga's while there still affordable so now is the time to buy. You remember those awesome $59 Chinese sks's right? Don't hesitate get them while there affordable. Remember my first saiga in 308 was $307 OTD.

Edited by Unknown Poster

Thanks for the info. Yeah I know what you mean about the Saiga addiction, it's like a drug. This will be my 11th one, lol. I have all the other calibers and shotguns aready (of the older guns). The .308 will complete the collection. I probably will go with a 16"er. Right now I'm looking at a Tromix conversion.