What exactly is grounds for delayal when you buy a gun from the shop? I have ten guns, and each and every time I buy a new gun from the shop, (like today) I am delayed. I know noone else that this happens to, and I am a bit concered as to why this is. Anyone know why this happens exactly? Its becomming very inconvienient for me, but otherwise isnt a big deal for me to have to wait a few days....

have you been convicted of any crimes that might be of some concern during a background check?

you're in NY right? how do you go about purchasing a gun there? do you just fill out the sheet, pay, and then walk out with your new gun? or is there a waiting period?

Your name may match up to someone else. If you use your Social Security number that usually clears it up. Also, if you always pick up your firearms on a Saturday, you may just be hitting a system slowdown due to the higher volume of traffic.

• 7 years later...

YOUR A TERRORIST!

j/k.

yeah use your social. i do. i also have a handgun carry permit so it goes really fast. ive never been delayed, but have seen a few folks that have. and it is a pain in the ass. but like stated, its prolly that your name matches with someone else and they need further verification to distinguish you from the other party in question. or the system could be backed up. hard to say. hell you could call them and ask. or just ask your ffl what the deal is. he may know.

My FFL told me anyone who has a security clearance of any kind gets bumped to a "additional review". But he says it only makes his phone call 10 minutes longer while he waits on hold as apposed to an instant decision.

I've got a clearance for my work and have never even had a slight delay when purchasing firearms. I didn't own any guns before getting the clearance, all of the purchases happened after getting it. The last transfer I got the guy at the store commented that I was the first person he had seen NOT get delayed that week, he jokingly asked if I was in good with the BATFE folks. Another purchase happened at a gun show, I gave them the paperwork and they told me to come back in 15 minutes while they did the background check. I came 15 minutes later and asked if it was done, he replied with "Yours was done 10 minutes ago, fastest one today". Guess I'm just lucky cool.png

I also have a unique name and provide my SSN on the forms, so maybe that has something to do with it too. Just my experience.