feed ramp for high cap mag?

How does one go about installing a feed ramp in order to permit the use of the orlite mags? I have been able to get the mag to fit without much work but the bullet is shoved below the barrel opening stoping it from entering the chamber. I don't want to modify the orlite mag and would not want to lose the abuility to use my original mag without any grief!

couple ways you can do it. either buy a bullet guide from www.k-var.com for $11.99+shipping or buy $1-2 piece of pipe if it even cost that and cut it and grind it to work.

I just worked on piece of pipe 3/4 inch I.D. ( 1 inch O.D.)

http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

step 8 on sheik yerbouti's website search for him on this forum and you will come across some info. i dont have caliper for dimentions I roughed it myself.

if you go the pipe route 1 full cut of pipe could produce 3 bullet guides.

when you get it cut n ground down insert it periodically and close the action make sure the bolt head clears the feedramp and the action closes. if it stops short dont force it pull it back and try looking through mag well to see if the bolt head catches on the feedramp if so go back and cut/grind the feedramp as needed.

if you go the k-var bullet guide route you will have to either file or grind the bottom of the guide round and cut a small relief so the guide will fit on the saiga which has a rivet head protruding and will prevent installation if the bullet guide is not cut to accomidate the rivet.

to affix it either drill n tap the guide and trunion or superglue/epoxy/jbweld it.

not handy with tools then I suggest you take it to a gunsmith or if you want a full AK103 conversion send it to chris at www.ak-103.com

Dman, I purchased a Bulgarian .223 bullet guide and realized it would

require a lot of work to fit,and it still would not work with the orlites.

Don't waste your money,I made mine out of a section of pipe.

The Sheik has good instructions on his site, but i had to modify

the design by welding a bead on the leading edge of the guide

and file it smooth to create enough lift for the tip of the bullet

to clear the breach. If you look at the saiga mag it has a lip at

the front does this. The military mags do not. That is what i tried

to replicate with the feed ramp. Keep the bead short so the bolt

will be past it as it rotates into battery.

This seems to be more of an issue with the orlites than others.

I have a modified ak74 bakelite that works with this ramp, and

after grinding off the lip on the front of the saiga mag so it will clear

the feed ramp it works fine.

post-22-1083740424.jpg

Thanks for the info and the advice, I will try to give it a whirl and hope for the best. It is very strage that I have no problem hacking away at an expensive piece of race equipement to "make it bigger, better, faster>>>" but tweaking a $200 firearm just makes me sweat like a stripper first day on the job! :lolol:

• 2 weeks later...