Bullet Guide 7.62X39

Hello again,

I have a question on the fabrication of the bullet guide during a conversion. After carefull review of the "Saiga Conversion Bible" that everyone knows, I have realized that the fabrication of the bullet guide seems to be out of my abilities. Is there a way to purchase one already completed? Or is this something that has to be cut and fit on the specific gun? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Dremel-Fu goes a long way towards making the bullet guide. I took some 3/4" black pipe and put it in the chop saw, but I don't see why you can't do it with a dremel.

Installing it however is tricky. If you can drill & tap, then I can hook you up with a guide. I have some rough cut ones laying around and I have the one off of my 7.62x39 that's drilled & counter-sunk.

Get me $15 & I'll ship you a drill bit, tap, bullet guide & screw.

Edited to add:

If you want a rough one only, cover my shipping to you.

Edited by dinzag

Hey can you send me one too?! I still havent put one in my Saiga yet and I've been meaning to get around to it for a long time now. It sure would be a big help if someone had gone and done all of the cutting and measuring for the rough piece already! I can handle the Dremel-Fu finishing part. I got a cool Dremmel set (the big one) for X-mas. It even came with an electric scriber tool. Besides, I don't have a single piece of 3/4" pipe anywhere around here! I looked.

Thanks man!

Hey can you send me one too?! I still havent put one in my Saiga yet and I've been meaning to get around to it for a long time now. It sure would be a big help if someone had gone and done all of the cutting and measuring for the rough piece already! I can handle the Dremel-Fu finishing part. I got a cool Dremmel set (the big one) for X-mas. It even came with an electric scriber tool. Besides, I don't have a single piece of 3/4" pipe anywhere around here! I looked.

Thanks man!

doyou use the same thing for the .223?

RangerM9

Hey can you send me one too?!

Done - going out tomorrow!

They're rough, but you can drop 'em in & see what needs to be done. If you're crafty, you should be able to use both factory and AK mags. You just have to shave the rear catch on the AK mags.

Drill & tap the trunnion with #6-32 tap. If you fu@k that up, go to 8-32. Don't ask me how I know this... :lolol: Then if you fu@k that up, drill through and put a nut on the bottom of the receiver.

Actually make sure you pilot the hole with a cobalt bit first. I had a cheap-o bit snap off in the trunnion :eek: No warning - plink!!! I then proceded to bugger up the area around the broken bit trying to get it out. Ended up doing 8-32 and it held good. For the $2 the bits cost, they will eat tons of rivets & spotwelds too.

I was drilling out rivets on an AKM triggerguard for the S-12 tonight and broke my old faithful 3/32" bit. That puppy had some miles on it!

Edited by dinzag

O.K. I've got 5 going out. :eek: If anyone else wants one, I'll make some more. I'm making up an instruction sheet with all the details. All prices as shipped CONUS.

$5 for a rough blank - cut to size, needs hole & fitting.

$10 for a finished guide. You supply drill bit, tap & screw.

$15 for a finished guide, drill bit, tap & screw.

They're easy enough for me to crank out several at a time. The hard part for you will be drilling & tapping the trunnion. If tapping fails, go up one size or drill through & put a nut on the bottom. Reply if you have any questions.

• 4 weeks later...

They will work for the 7.62x39, but you have a lot of work in getting it to fit. For starters, the bottom of those are squared off and the bottom of the Saiga trunnion is round.

(Insert shameless sales pitch)

I have one all made with a stainless steel screw and instructions for $10 shipped. It is fitted to the Saiga. You just need a #6-32 tap and a #36 drill bit. For $15 shipped, I can supply the drill & tap as well. :up:

Don't waste your time with the bullet guide from K-VAR! It's a real pain in the ass to modify it to fit a Saiga. I ended up throwing it away and using a piece of pipe. It works great for a lot less money. The biggest problem I had was drilling and tapping the trunnion. I broke two drill bits and my 6/32 tap. I ended up going with the 8/32 by the time it was done, but it works great. Just make sure you use Loctite on it. If you don't feel comfortable making one, buy it from Dinzaq.

just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents...

for you guys going to drill and tap the trunion yourself, get a good quality drill bit, like a carbide tipped as was mentioned above, or a titanium, which is what i used. But, FOR GODS SAKE, USE CUTTING FLUID WHEN TAPPING!! this is the voice of experience. i broke a 6-32 tap off in my trunion, and it was a royal PITA!.

go slow, USE OIL, no worries

I thought I'd just add this...

I managed, I think, to get a reliable bullet guide in place without need to drill & tap (I can & do that -but I was being curious).

What was done, is the piece made from the pipe was made long enough to cover from it's front to where the barrel COMES OUT of the trunnion -not just butt againt the barrel end.

A "lip" was Dremeled on the piece's front that has just enough clearance to "tap" in place via a hammer UNDER the barrel -stopping when it hits the trunnion. A little metal filled epoxy was used to "tack" it well in place.

By design, it can't be forced forward, and, has good structual strength to avoid being pried up.

Seems to work. I imagine that a large part of it doing so depends on a very tight fit. It was reasonably easy to do.

It has done fine thru alot of rounds. Jus' thought I'd share.

Lollygagger :unsure: