Bought a big beefy scope mount from K-Var. It is the side mount that is mfg in Belarus and built for the use of Weaver style rings. You can adjust the thing to where the fit is tight. Seems that no matter how tight the thing is mounted to the rifle, the mount shifts forward with each shot. Anyone have the same experience that particlular mount? Think one could drill and tap a stop stud into the unit but that really shouldn't be necessary. Anyone have simpler fix for the problem??

The front of the mount should be open and the rear closed. The mount should slide onto the rail from the rear and the back of the mount should act as a stop when sliding the mount forward on the rail. It should butt up againist the rear of the rail and be rock solid so there should be no movement forward during recoil.

JA-You are correct. This mount must have been designed by the idiot son of the factory owner. It is "open" at the rear and "closed" at the front. It slides onto the rail from from the front to the rear and the "stop" pin is on the front of the mount.

Only one way for it to travel under recoil and that is forward off of the rail. Have to rate it as a piece of s--t. No more, no less. Anyone of you all out there thinking of buying a scope mount, check it out carefully before opening you wallet. If it is one of the Made in Belarus things, let it stay with the vendor.

So I've got a quick-release side-mount for my saiga... but it's an American made mount. Works fine. After about 5k rounds though, it gets loose and travels with recoil. So I go take the stop lever off, tighten the little nut in there slightly and put the lever back on. Good as new. Btw, my mount slides in from the back, not the front.

AK108,

The mount you have is not a Saiga mount.

Check out the clamp for the SAR/VEPR/Saiga. If the clamp on your mount has the same bolt pattern it would fix your mount for use on a Saiga.

http://www.nightvisionweb.com/side_adapters.htm

Or get you another mount.

The one with the rings is the real Saiga mount and is imported by EAA. The other two work fine also.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak.html

Edited by J A

I'm new to this forum, but been lookin' in for months.

I bought one of those belarous (or whatever) scope mounts, too. like you said, couple of shots, and it slid off! I drilled and tapped an 8/32 screw in the rail mount/reciever and it turns out it was a sweet spot - nothing disturbed. It works like a dream and it only takes a few extra seconds to dismantle for cleaning. if any one wants, I can post pics. The receased screw head sits right behind the tightening lever, no one can even tell.

you need a drill, tap set (basic), the coresponding drill bits (including a coutersink bit).

There's enough clearance that a pan head screw might even work.

let me know.

SammoH: Dont you use blue lok-tite? that should fix your problem with your loose screws :)

I do, on the screws. There's a screw at the bottom though that tightens the detach lever. That comes loose now and then, which is expected. If I used locktite on that, the lever wouldn't move! lol. Then the mount wouldn't be quick detach.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. Friend of mine owns a full-auto Romanian AK and the Belarus manufactured scope mount fits correctly on the pieces scope rail. Seems the Romanian rails are very much different than the Russian rails. Something not too noticable at a quick glance. Guess if you don't learn something new every day, the day's been wasted.

• 2 weeks later...