the 34-0-0 designation is a FERTILIZER designation.

34 nitrogen (N), 0 phosphorus (P), 0 potassium (K)

That is 34% nitrogen in the form of ammonium nitrate, as it is related to fertilizing.

for our discussion, the bag contains 100% ammonium nitrate which is what we want... we arent really concerned with the percentage of nitrogen, however, the higher the nitrogen percentage, the more "bang for the buck" sadly, the 34-0-0 mix is the best you can get... and it works... thats what COMMERCIAL BLASTING companies use for major earth moving projects.

The key is in DETONATION... it cant be ignited... it cant be burned... it must be detonated, and sent over the energy curve... once you get it over the curve... you get out a LOT more energy in the chain reaction. Hence the explosive nature of the substance.

Ok... chemistry lesson over. :lol:

:smoke:

cool bhwana, thanx

you can pick up old chemistry books at yard sales and used book stores that go into how to increase your yield, but well, its not like you want to cut hardened steel plate or beams or anything, so its really not necessary to go into all that fun stuff in a public forum. the velocity of those types of explosives are just too high to warrant discussing on a gun forum in relation to targets. this is what I was getting at before. I also will go into it a little further here. there is logic to it guys, sorry if Im being a nazi.

most of the more complicated refinements that are possible by a home chemist are FAR more dangerous to perform than is worthwhile. leave that to the factories and hazmat people. and the enemy. not worth burning yourself from the inside out, or vaporising yourself and your home to make a fun target. besides, one of the things you NEED to perform that type of thing is nitric acid or pictric (i spell that right??) acid, which is NOT availible to the general public with any kind of ease. you basically are manufacturing a high explosive when you delve into those chemicals/compounds/acids, and you probably will get a visit from heir govt. mommy and daddy wanting to know what the hell you are doing with it, and how you plan to spend the next ten years in prison.

with that said, my recommendation is to not experiment with purifying the A.N. in any way, as that actually is NOT how you increase your yeild. I could give a couple of simple things to add to your mixtures of tannerite, but I am fairly certain that it is no longer a binary explosive in the forms i am thinking, and becomes a high explosive.

I hope this very vague post helps you guys at least somewhat. take it for what its worth.

• 5 years later...

have u got to try ito out yet? is it any different than wat u find on the web cus i found all of it but the AN is 5.50 a lb.

http://ar15.com/foru...7&f=91&t=267872

ta-da...tannerite for the do it yourself kind of guy, i've went that route and the guy is top notch personally i'm having a bit of a time finding one of the ingredients but i've been assured that its findable.

so far i've made something close, i'm not sure if i didn't use enough of it or if it wouldn't work at all...so we set it up behind an actual bought tannerite and well... lets just say it decided to make one heck of a kaboom :super: so back to the evil labortory this weekend :devil:

ok tried my homemade tannerite out today...f-in sweet.. so much cheaper too.. i picked up 3 lbs of am ox at the gun show today and the AN is even easier to get and i wouldnt charge ppl 10 dollas to tell all just pm me if u wanna know. i have videos too of the outcome