what can ya'll tell me about 5.45x39

i need any and all info, good and bad, that ya'll can spare on this topic concerning the ammo and the rifle!

thanks guys!

twgladf

The rifles themselves are not pretty but, they are really one of the best gun deals at this moment. Most I have seen have fair wood furniture and the optics rail mounted on the side of the reciever. The 5.45 is a ballistics twin to the Remington .222 and is marginally slower in muzzle velocity than .223. The ammo is very scarce right now and Wolf is predicting large shipments to the U.S. by early May. I have heard rumors that the sales of Romanian Ak-74 clones have dropped due to the ammo shortage and dealers have dropped prices of the rifles as well. A few months ago, you could get one wholesale for around $325. Magazines (30 round) are around $9 each. Ammo was usually around $125 per case of 1000.

Ronswin

thanks

aim surplus had them earlier this week for only $289!

but now they are all gone DAMMIT!! :ded:

oh well, i'll just keep an eye open at the gun shows.

DAMMIT!

If you can get one for less than $300 buy it!! Two years ago my shooting buddy bought one and just for shits and giggles he started using it in 3-gun matches. He is still using the same SAR-2 and has not used his AR-15's since.

RonSwin

I would also feel perfectly comforatble using my SAR-2 in competition. In fact, I may have to now. I was talking with someone at a gunshow today, about local competitions. He mentioned one regular(ly held) match that was open to "any military rifle". Now, I don't think I'd necessarily win, but it might make people stare. My first time at the range, I was able to get very honest 2 inch (5 shot) groups at 100 yards using the iron sights (from the bench).

As far as ballistics go: it's a relatively short range anti-personel cartridge. I've never heard anything but praise for its accuracy. The bullet has chalked up a great number of kills on both humans and some smallers species of pest. I spoke with someone who had a 5.45x39 bolt-action that he used for coyotes. Apparently they drop ever time.

If all else fails, I believe that Alexander Arms sells 5.45mm by the name of "21 Ghengis", but I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

The SAR series weapons in 7.62x39mm & 5,45x39mm are generally quite reliable if a bit ugly and often with canted sights (usually easily fixed). The only glitch with reliability is with the replaced FCG -the U.S made parts are often out of spec and cause the bolt to drag/stall to the rear. Fixable.

The SAR 5.56 Nato (.223 Rem.) version is the MOST glitchey. The weapon was just not set-up for .223 use well, and it shows...mostly in FTF with the smaller diameter .223 case (apparently, nobody thought about this).

Other than the (hopefully) temporary ammo supply problem, the 5.45 SAR is a good choice. I use a older version of it, the Romak 2, and have been well pleased.

c84a849b.jpg

Lollygagger :unsure:

• 1 month later...

If you can get your hands on a SLR-105 get it rather than the SAR-2 I thinks it's a much better rifle and almost an exact clone of the Russian AK-74 series.. Although the SAR2 is a great rifle I still like the little refinements of the SLR that the SAR doesn't have...Oh btw you know whats cool about owning a 5.45 rifle the semi steel core ammo coming in as of now and the cheap mags....

Here check this mag deal out...... I ordered 2 of these pouches I recieved 4 Russian Izh plums outta the 24 mags..

http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/sto...xm=on&ppinc=big

12PK.JPG

RPK74M.JPG

And heres the SLR-105.. I really love this rifle...

slr105a1550x350.jpg

Edited by Henry-Krinkle

The US army like to tote a tired old argument out that shows how thier 5.56 is better than the Soviet 5.45 using a ballistic chart, showing the 5.56 having better range and penetration. However, what they DON'T tell you is that the data is flawed. For teh 5.56 they used a 20" barrel BOLT action rifle, while the 5.45 was fired from a AK-74M, which uses a 16" barrel. When you compare the ballistics of a M4 with an AK-74M, tyou find that the 5.45 suddenly surpasses the 5.56 in range, power, penetration and killing potential.

The power of the "poison bullet" comes fom it;s design. it is a MUCGH longer bullet, physically, than the 5.56/.223, which mean that when it tumbles it leave a muh wider cavity path. Further more the bullet has an air pocket in teh nose, making it both off balance and ready to fragment like a hollow point. Thus, when the bullet hits, the bullet immediately flattens out and goes into a terrible tumble. Add into this the mild steel penetratoer core of the PS ammunition [standard soviet load] and you have a tumbling bullet that rotates 14 times in teh width of a human torso, chest to back, able to penetrate the flak and sofft armour of troops, with 5.56 style accuracy, out of a system that is just as modifiable as any AR with kalashnikov reliability.

Truly, a weapon system to be respected and give wide berth to.

HTH, but feel free to ask me if you need anything else!

I have a sar-2 that shoots the stuff and plenty of ammo, the ammo is the rare thing at this time, you dont see it at many gun shops and not in wally either. So you are at the mercy of the mail order shops and gun shows to keep a stock of it. It fun to shoot with hardly any recoil. Just recomend mags and plenty of ammo when you finally get a rifle. My two cents :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a friend who was born in Russia who owns a Romanian WASR2 in 5.45x39 similar to the one he used in the Russian army. I was surprised that he bought a Romanian rifle but he said the Kalashnikov design is robust enough that even Romanian commercial copies work flawlessly.

He swears by the 5.45x39 from what he heard from soldiers who served in Afghanistan who said the round tore the mujahdeen to shreds. He also praised its accuracy compared to the 7.62x39 round and its light weight and the ability to carry almost twice the ammo. The AK-74 polymer magazines are also much lighter than the steel AK-47 magazines.