OS Optics picatinny custom base

Basically, an ARMS SIR for the AK.

Exactly. anything like that for the Saiga12 that anyone knows about? I have surfed the net for them & never seen any. Sounds like this would be the first attempt of such a thing (that I know of anyway)

I'm afraid I don't think so. There's no real tactical advantage to it on the AK platform, certainly not on a shotgun, and "cool factor" can only drive manufacturing so far.

The stabilize the back end of the rail you'd either have to stick it to the dust cover, or side mount...or SOMETHING.

It depends on what material you use. If you would make it out of Inconel 718 you couldnt bend it with a Duece and 1/2 truck. Carbide itself has 0 elasticity. Understand the harder a material is the less elasticities of the material. Like glass, does glass bend? We arnt talking about some shitbag A105 or F22 materials. TiAl alloys are some tuff shit. After getting all worked up about someone calling me a retard that directly relates to my field I am still going to be lazy and send it to US Optics. I have one of there 3.8X 22X on my HS percision and am really impressed with there work. Like I say, its the Electrician whos house is desperate need for new switches and plugs, the machanics who always needs something done on his car or starting it with a screwdriver, the carpender who has the crappy banged up furniture, and of course the machinist who is to lazy to do his own work. Only in some kinda challenge "with cash involved" or life threatening situation would I actually do work:) Trust me, it wont bend.

Edit: yeah, I think its only the cool factor pushing the project!

Edited by Equinox

I'm quite familiar with metal elasticities thank you. Bending has never been the concern with mounting things to the AK dust cover, although, if I understand you correctly, you seek to mount to the rear sight base, which is pretty cool. To tell you the truth, I'd buy it. I just don't really like the idea of potentiall raising the AK sight plane.

After getting all worked up about someone calling me a retard that directly relates to my field

If this comment was in reference to mine earlier... it had nothing to do with anyones skills, or livelyhood...

I feel it is just DUMB to mount a scope rail to the dustcover, no matter WHAT the rail is made out of... which is what I THOUGHT you were talking about doing... It is not the most stable of places for an optic... and I still think anyone that wants to mount an optic to a dustcover is going to be very displeased with the end result. The gas tube... the rear site platform... knock yourself out.. that works... the dustcover??? No.. poor choice.

:smoke:

Basically, an ARMS SIR for the AK.

Exactly. anything like that for the Saiga12 that anyone knows about? I have surfed the net for them & never seen any. Sounds like this would be the first attempt of such a thing (that I know of anyway)

I'm afraid I don't think so. There's no real tactical advantage to it on the AK platform, certainly not on a shotgun, and "cool factor" can only drive manufacturing so far.

The stabilize the back end of the rail you'd either have to stick it to the dust cover, or side mount...or SOMETHING.

It depends on what material you use. If you would make it out of Inconel 718 you couldnt bend it with a Duece and 1/2 truck. Carbide itself has 0 elasticity. Understand the harder a material is the less elasticities of the material. Like glass, does glass bend? We arnt talking about some shitbag A105 or F22 materials. TiAl alloys are some tuff shit. After getting all worked up about someone calling me a retard that directly relates to my field I am still going to be lazy and send it to US Optics. I have one of there 3.8X 22X on my HS percision and am really impressed with there work. Like I say, its the Electrician whos house is desperate need for new switches and plugs, the machanics who always needs something done on his car or starting it with a screwdriver, the carpender who has the crappy banged up furniture, and of course the machinist who is to lazy to do his own work. Only in some kinda challenge "with cash involved" or life threatening situation would I actually do work:) Trust me, it wont bend.

Edit: yeah, I think its only the cool factor pushing the project!

Hell, I would get one.... Even if it is just for the "cool factor" lol

• 2 months later...

Mounting a weaver or picatinny rail over the dust cover is not that off the wall. Check out these photos of a custom Saiga 12 with such a mount along with barrel porting and a huge compensator. The dust cover is secured via a hinge system that keeps it more secure than just snapping it in place.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Athlete-Rodos/7...tgun/saiga.html

I found these pictures using google.com. Just click "images" and type in "Saiga 12."

BTW, the photos show eight-round mags with homemade belt clips that appear to be secured by tape.

Edited by surfmaster