WTK: Saiga Modification

I've changed the configuration on a number of Saiga-based shottys, but have yet to work with a rifle. I'm very interested in buying a 223 and modifying it. I am planning on it using Weiger mags and upgrading the gas block the the KVar sight/gas chamber combo.

My questions:

1. For magazine modification I have seen several members indicate that Weiger mags may wobble a bit... is there any way to avoid this?

2. Is the diameter of the 223 barrel a standard diameter that will accommodate bulgarian gas chambers and front sights?

3. Would I be better off trying to find an Arsenal SAM5? I really like these, but given (1) Arsenal isn't making them anymore and (2) the total cost to get it configured for what I want will be over $1000.... I doubt I'll go this route.

FYI - If any of you have a SAM5 and are interested in selling it... I may be interested. Also, if any of you know of any shops with a 'no-ban' style SAM5... please send me an PM.

I've changed the configuration on a number of Saiga-based shottys, but have yet to work with a rifle. I'm very interested in buying a 223 and modifying it. I am planning on it using Weiger mags and upgrading the gas block the the KVar sight/gas chamber combo.

My questions:

1. For magazine modification I have seen several members indicate that Weiger mags may wobble a bit... is there any way to avoid this?

2. Is the diameter of the 223 barrel a standard diameter that will accommodate bulgarian gas chambers and front sights?

3. Would I be better off trying to find an Arsenal SAM5? I really like these, but given (1) Arsenal isn't making them anymore and (2) the total cost to get it configured for what I want will be over $1000.... I doubt I'll go this route.

FYI - If any of you have a SAM5 and are interested in selling it... I may be interested. Also, if any of you know of any shops with a 'no-ban' style SAM5... please send me an PM.

1. Yes you can either put shims inside the receiver, build up the outside of the mag body, or just use a mag that fits better like Bulgie waffles or synthetic Galils. I can't say enough about how perfect the Bulgies fit and function with only slight modification.

2. The bbl diameter, for some reason, is slightly larger than that of the 7.62 according to dinzag. Check with him on this . He has the measurements I believe.

3. NO

My questions:

1. mag wobble - I added a couple metal pads inside the receiver to serve as mag dimples. Pieces of the removed trigger plate - and they're stuck in with thick 2-sided sticky tape. Eliminated 90% of it. I'm using the synthetic bulgarian 5.45x39 mags and they are a tad loose. I've heard the .223 bulgies are a good fit, but ask Cobra or Wolverine about that.

2. The barrel diameter is similiar to an AK-47. AKM's are the smallest and are similiar to the Saiga 7.62x39, the AK-47 is a tad larger O.D. (0.020") so that's the surplus stuff you want.

3. Not familiar with them.

edit: O.K. I seen Cobra replied while I was replying. FYI global trades (www.globaltrades.com) has dimensions on the various pieces - AKM, AK-47 & RPK - see for yourself, then cross reference with K-Var's stock.

Edited by dinzag