What The Heck is this????

Whoa. I don't know that it has a name yet, but if you search the forum, you'll find a thread about a .50 BMG case blown out to 12 ga. For what its worth though, it doesn't look like that cartridge can properly fit the S-12 mag. It looks like its just been cramme din for a photo-op.It looks a little too big to be .50 phantom or .50 beowulf though....

I was checking out photos of Saiga-12's on google when I came across this photo. What the hell is this ammo and who is it made by and where can I get it?

Looks like a .50 BMG case cut down short. A .50 BMG base area is about as big as a 12 gauge width.

A recent post I did a while back showed someone tinkering with a .50 BMG brass sizing the the whole case evenly to make a straight wall cartridge. The new cartridge was a monster 12 gauge loading similar to a 700 nitro round. This looks like that same case cut short.

post-1624-1143328621_thumb.jpg

Edited by expeditionx

There are also some specialty 12 gauge rounds, but as far as I know they are fired from a compressed air powered weapon and use a plastic case.

I have seen some experimental metal cased shotgun rounds.

Then again, it might be a beowulf.......

I was checking out photos of Saiga-12's on google when I came across this photo. What the hell is this ammo and who is it made by and where can I get it?

Looks like a .50 BMG case cut down short. A .50 BMG base area is about as big as a 12 gauge width.

A recent post I did a while back showed someone tinkering with a .50 BMG brass sizing the the whole case evenly to make a straight wall cartridge. The new cartridge was a monster 12 gauge loading similar to a 700 nitro round. This looks like that same case cut short.

The 12gauge from hell (No I'm serious, that's what the inventor calls it) 700+ grain cast lead slugs at 2700 :eek: And it still shoots standard 12Ga rounds :smoke:

Link

Sign me up. Where do I buy them?

Oh, and can I sabot .50 caliber API bullet into them?

B-)

ok "saboting" a .50 bmg into anything sounds crazy..but with that case it looks do able :killer:

You know damn well this board is all about the crazy. I guess maybe there's not such thing as a sabot for the .50. Unless there are saboted 20mm rounds. Hrmm....

:chris:

arrount the turn of the centry the 12 ga shells were brass as were all shot gun shells. I am guessing that some one just stuck a big bullet in a 12 ga brass case You can still buy brass shot gun shells on line do a surch on gunbroker.com you will find them there here is a pic for gunbroker of 20 ga shells

post-2129-1143518822_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheGunHustler
arrount the turn of the centry the 12 ga shells were brass as were all shot gun shells. I am guessing that some one just stuck a big bullet in a 12 ga brass case You can still buy brass shot gun shells on line do a surch on gunbroker.com you will find them there here is a pic for gunbroker of 20 ga shells

I thought even the old brass shotgun shells had rims that stuck out.

The cartridge in the picture appears to me as having a recessed rim for auto loading purposes.

The only cartridge I know of that is that big and has a recessed rim is the .50 BMG.

The .50 BMG is necked down to .50 in the front. The back end is 70 something caliber wide.

I just tested an empty 50 BMG brass in a Saiga mag, and it looks to me like somebody trimmed a 50 case, and then put a "bullet" into it.

I would guess its a joke, because if its real, its definitely not going to be anything buy a destructive device.

If you think us commoners could own one, fuggedaboudit......

I just tested an empty 50 BMG brass in a Saiga mag, and it looks to me like somebody trimmed a 50 case, and then put a "bullet" into it.

I would guess its a joke, because if its real, its definitely not going to be anything buy a destructive device.

If you think us commoners could own one, fuggedaboudit......

I don't think it'd be a destructive device, you're still using a shotgun. A slug is .73" diameter and can be shot out of rifled barrels, chokes, or cylinder bore and it's not considered a DD, so neither would a BMG case cut down to an appropriate chamber size. The 12ga Wildcat round I imagine isn't even a DD, it's still a shotgun, just a shotgun with a shit ton of power.

I dont want to be the one that is the test case for it.

You have an exposed cartridge, unlike a shotgun shell, or a shotgun slug, the base of this cartridge is not rimmed like a shotgun shell.

I say if you take a "Rifle Cartridge", and blow out the caliber to larger than .50, you gotta legal problem.

Dont think so, neck a 50 BMG up to a 60 BMG and see what the BATFE says. Its no different than a Boyes anti tank rifle, and why they all get chambered down in caliber.

So until I see the BATFE letter determining its legal, I dont think Im going there.

The 12Ga From Hell (see previous link) is, as the creator/madman understands it, is nothing more than a 12Ga with a reeeeeeeealy long chamber (the creator actually turns threads onto the rim of the BMG case, and threads on a 12Ga sized rim). Because it'll still shoot normal 12Ga, no letter was required (unlike, say the 600 Overkill the same creator/madman also created).

That thing in the first post is looking more and more like a good photoshop, or a mockup, not a real round.

Chris & Osprey are right - that is one of Tony's creations - 458 SOCOM I believe. AR platform.

He can confirm or deny.

That's one of his signature S-12's in the background too.

Edited by dinzag