Dinzag's AKS-12 w/ laminate furniture

Here's a couple more mods. Added a Jeric BHO "A" kit and Tactical Mag Release. Each install took about an hour or so including paint. I really like the feel of the release. :smoke:BHO Install ; Tac Release Install

Also added a flip-up sight off a Yugo kit I got from TheGunHustler. I am using the flip-up front sight from that as well.

post-2093-1144615100_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1144615152_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1144615218_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1144615281_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1144615328_thumb.jpg

Edited by dinzag
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Here's some updated pics of some more mods...

I cut the barrel back to 19" from 22.88".

I also finally attached the AK-74 brake Tony Rumore made for me. He did a great job on it!! :smoke:

I had him leave 1.5" on the back so I could weld the front sight tower to it. I couldn't use the factory clamp-on front sights due to the added height of the rear sight. This will be attached with green loctite once I get it back from getting Rem-Chokes installed. Right now it's as welded and needs paint.

I got the Yugo flip-up front & rear sights from TheGunHustler. Thanks again! I need to paint in the dots with something :nuke: radioactive :nuke: so they glow in the dark.

Lastly, pistonring8 bead-blasted my carrier - I love it!!! :wub: He does awesome work!

post-2093-1148598002_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1148598091_thumb.jpg

You said you stained BRG3's grip black and then sanded it, then stained it orange.

Does the bakc staining make the grain come through more or something?

<----- knows jack about wood finishing.

Correct! It was completely pitch black after I did that. I let it dry, then sanded. The deep/porous grains absorb more stain - or the stain penetrates deeper. It would have been completely dark/light orange if I didn't use the black.

Dear dinzag!

You at a forum could not Place drawings of the given detail if certainly they at you are available.

Yours faithfully Alexey.

Your technical drawings very much would help me.

Under these drawings, at a factory to me would make this detail.

Yours faithfully Alexey.

post-3279-1148918502_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lekss

Lekss - it's in inches.

Also, the metal pin you show has to be ground down some - not too much. I don't think there is an effect on durability from that. Maybe from all the wood removed from the sides, but not what was removed from the pin.

In this pic you can still see the recessed area in the front where the clip goes and the recessed area in the center of the HG. There's not much removed top to bottom, mainly the sides. The recessed areas are still visible. Also the spring clip still fits in there, just not around the barrel.

post-2093-1149637135_thumb.jpg

Thanks! :smoke:

Edited by dinzag

Brother, nice job on the 12 and the retainer drawings. Let me (us) know how the choke install goes, I was under the impression that even with the meaty s12 barrel that you shouldn't thread the inside and outside

of the barrel (or did I miss something about the way Tony's brake is installed?). Thanks for the posts...all good info.

6500rpm - thanks man! The barrel was 22.88" long and I cut it back to 19". I just laid it on the chop saw and went at it. That barrel is some hard a$$ stuff! I tried a pipe cutter and broke two cutter blades. Chop saw took all of 10 seconds. I then ran a file over the end of the barrel and removed all burrs & sharp edges inside and out.

It was never threaded for factory chokes so the Rem's will be just fine. Also the brake Tony made me is just a slip-over that I set-screwed on.

I seem to remember Tony saying it would be too thin to double thread as well.

:smoke:

Lekss - it's in inches.

Also, the metal pin you show has to be ground down some - not too much. I don't think there is an effect on durability from that. Maybe from all the wood removed from the sides, but not what was removed from the pin.

In this pic you can still see the recessed area in the front where the clip goes and the recessed area in the center of the HG. There's not much removed top to bottom, mainly the sides. The recessed areas are still visible. Also the spring clip still fits in there, just not around the barrel.

post-2093-1149637135_thumb.jpg

Thanks! :smoke:

Thanks you for the HELP!!!

Yours faithfully Alexey.

:up::up::up:

Yes we do indeed.

Ron he made those palm swells on the left HG out of the Romy donkey dick thingy he cut off the bottom. :super:

Alexey it wont hurt anything to cut thru that pin. It's just there to reinforce the laminate that is glued and cured now anyway.

Here's the one I put on my AKS-20 with the "modified" retainer ready to weld.

post-1293-1149687706_thumb.jpg

If you weld it in place you can still have a cleaning rod. Only problem is you can't change to a different HG after that.

Hey dinzag could you take a pic of that flip up front sight? I have one of those like the rear one but haven't seen the front ones to match. I assume that is what those two pins are for on the FSB?

BTW I used some white out to fill the glo dots on the rear till I can find some glo paint. Works great in low light with my painted front sight pin.

The drawing Excellent(Different)!

But, unfortunately not all the sizes long are submitted.

Without these sizes, people cannot make this detail.

Yours faithfully Alexey.

:(:(:(:(:(:(

[

Hey that looks really nice! :up:

THANKS!!!

Yours faithfully Alexey.

:)

post-3279-1149714152_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lekss

Alexy...

I wouldnt worry about the "proper" radius for those cuts... Just round them off to your satisfaction. No one is going to come up with a micrometer and measure the diameter of the radius and tell you it is wrong!! ROFL!!!

Make it YOUR WAY, make it nice... and it will be AWESOME!!!! :up::lol::up:

:smoke:

Alexey, bro, get your paws on an AKM/AK-74 lower handguard retainer.

Then modify it to the dimensions supplied. The 3D model I created

does have all the dimensions, I just didn't show them in the drawing.

It's an AK for god's sakes - dremel fu!

Cobra - here's some pics of the front flip-ups.

Excuse the welds - gotta be ground down & cleaned up yet.

I'm gonna dot the sights with fluorescent orange I think...

post-2093-1149728049_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1149728144_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1149728185_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1149728218_thumb.jpg

post-2093-1149728251_thumb.jpg

I too began work.

Yours faithfully Alexey.

Lookin good!

I can get you the dimensions if need be.

I was just trying to demonstrate what I did to an AKM HG retainer.

Does anyone know where there is a walkthrough on doing the rear sight block conversion on an S-12, after looking at Dinzag's conversion I really want to do this when I convert my S-12. I am really curious on what has to be done to the rear sight block and the backside of the gas tube to make it work. I understand the part about modifying the trunion and welding the rear sight block to the barrel/trunion but I want to know what would be needed to make an AK rear sight block work with the stock gas tube. I hope someone can help me out here, I really want to make my S-12 into a work of art like Dinzag's is.